ESSE Ironheart EPA status?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Claire Wiltse

Jan 17, 2024
Idaho, USA
I’m in Idaho, USA but from the UK originally. I like the idea of having an Ironheart as a heat source and backup cook stove if the power goes out. I like that it’s a British company and that the stove is attractive enough to put in my living room.

However I’m on a budget so the EPA tax credit is going to be extremely helpful.

I know the ESSE Bakehert is on the EPA list and qualifies, but I do not see the Ironheart on there. However-the specs published by ESSE indicate it exceeds the 75% efficiency requirements at 80.6% efficiency, I just don’t think it’s been tested.

Based on the info I have to hand, would this be sufficient to prove eligibility or does the EPA have to have be involved? How is this checked at tax time?

In the same vein, the Thornhill Eco Ranges are also in the UK, super efficient and not EPA listed and I’m curious about them too.

I don't think there are any cookstoves qualifying for the tax credit. Just because the stove is listed and tested per EPA standards, that does not mean it qualifies for the credit. It has to be more than 75% HHV efficient to qualify. Note that European efficiency testing calculations are not the same as US testing.

To be eligible the manufacturer needs to provide a tax credit certificate for the stove.

Reactions: Claire Wiltse
I don't think there are any cookstoves qualifying for the tax credit. Just because the stove is listed and tested per EPA standards, that does not mean it qualifies for the credit. It has to be more than 75% HHV efficient to qualify. Note that European efficiency testing calculations are not the same as US testing.

To be eligible the manufacturer needs to provide a tax credit certificate for the stove.

the ESSE Bakehert is on the list.

It's not on the qualified list that I can find. After a bit of a search I was able to dig up the EPA testing for the Warmheart, which is under the same listing as the BakeHeart. It performs well but it's overall HHV efficiency is 71.3% which is well below the 75% requirement.
Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 6.57.40 PM.png

If a stove like the Warmheart is ok then why not get a qualifying stove that has a big cooktop. Essentially, the only difference is that the Warmheart has a cooker lid.