Eucalyptus in a Catalytic Stove

Fraxinensis Posted By Fraxinensis, Feb 11, 2013 at 4:11 PM

1. Fraxinensis

Fraxinensis

Feb 1, 2013
    Loc:
    Central Valley, CA
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience of burning eucalyptus in a catalytic stove. I got a recommendation from someone to try eucalyptus wood, and I have the chance to buy some that has been seasoned for a year (in the Central Valley). I am trying to decide whether to buy it or not, but I don't have any experience burning this wood so I wanted to ask for input.

Thank you!

2. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy
    Minister of Fire

Feb 12, 2012
    Loc:
    Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
    I'm gonna watch this thread cause I'm gonna learn something!:)

3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage
    Minister of Fire

Feb 14, 2007
    Loc:
    Michigan
    I have no idea why you shouldn't. If it is dry, burn it. Or does your stove manufacturer say to not burn it? I know that Woodstock has nothing in their manual to suggest it not be burned.

4. Fraxinensis

Fraxinensis

Feb 1, 2013
    Loc:
    Central Valley, CA
    I had heard that it might burn too hot for the catalyst. I don't have the manual for my insert (the insert came with my house and is from the mid nineties, the company that made it seems to be out of business). I would think that if I am cautious about not overloading the insert with logs it shouldn't get too hot for the catalyst.

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage
    Minister of Fire

Feb 14, 2007
    Loc:
    Michigan
    If it burns that hot, just don't burn a full load and all should be well. It is the same thing with soft maple. I won't burn a full load of it because it would really heat things up fast. Half load does very well.

6. basod

basod
    Minister of Fire

Sep 11, 2009
    Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    Any chance you've inspected the CAT to ensure it's working/intact - it is a mid 90's stove afterall

I say get the wood and try it out with small to medium sized loads, you'll get a feel for how it burns and adjust accordingly

7. BobUrban

BobUrban
    Minister of Fire

Jul 24, 2010
    Loc:
    Central Michigan
    I bet it smells good?? Isn't that the stuff they make those breath freshening toothpicks out of?