1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Eucalyptus in a Catalytic Stove

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Fraxinensis, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Fraxinensis

Fraxinensis New Member

Loc:
    Central Valley, CA
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience of burning eucalyptus in a catalytic stove. I got a recommendation from someone to try eucalyptus wood, and I have the chance to buy some that has been seasoned for a year (in the Central Valley). I am trying to decide whether to buy it or not, but I don't have any experience burning this wood so I wanted to ask for input.

Thank you!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky along the Ohio River
    I'm gonna watch this thread cause I'm gonna learn something!:)
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I have no idea why you shouldn't. If it is dry, burn it. Or does your stove manufacturer say to not burn it? I know that Woodstock has nothing in their manual to suggest it not be burned.
  4. Fraxinensis

Fraxinensis New Member

Loc:
    Central Valley, CA
    I had heard that it might burn too hot for the catalyst. I don't have the manual for my insert (the insert came with my house and is from the mid nineties, the company that made it seems to be out of business). I would think that if I am cautious about not overloading the insert with logs it shouldn't get too hot for the catalyst.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    If it burns that hot, just don't burn a full load and all should be well. It is the same thing with soft maple. I won't burn a full load of it because it would really heat things up fast. Half load does very well.
  6. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    Any chance you've inspected the CAT to ensure it's working/intact - it is a mid 90's stove afterall

I say get the wood and try it out with small to medium sized loads, you'll get a feel for how it burns and adjust accordingly
  7. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    I bet it smells good?? Isn't that the stuff they make those breath freshening toothpicks out of?