Evaluating class A chimney condition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Revramt

Jan 2, 2020
Colorado
I am looking for resources on how to gauge the condition of my class A chimney myself.
Backstory:
We moved into an older (1972) home a few years ago and since we know there were renters for a least a few years before we moved in, and not knowing the history before that, we decided we were past-due for a chimney sweep to come out and have a look.

The guy came out and told us that the stove and chimney needed to be replaced and shouldn't be used.
When we asked if the whole thing needed to be replaced, or just the damaged part he said that we needed to replace the whole thing "because it might be a pain fitting the pieces together".

His estimate came in at $4500

I took apart the old Jotul and there were portions of the cast metal inside completely crumbling apart, so we got rid of that and decided we needed to get a new stove.

Looking in the pipe I did see the damage he was referring to in the back of the T junction, the walls were blistered looking.

Wanting to get a second opinion (now that we were looking at 7-8k in unexpected expense) we had another chimney sweep company come out and have a look. They said that the whole chimney needed to be replaced and was warped along the seam and was "heart shaped all the way down".

So I took out the brick wall to gain access to the chimney and removed the T junction along with a 3-4 foot straight section of the Metal Fab TempGuard chimney. Looking from the bottom up at the rest of the chimney stack, it looks great. Very little if any creosote and it looks perfectly concentric to me, I don't detect any of the "heart shape" mentioned along the seam. It sounded like they were going to be considerably cheaper, but when we got the official quote it was also $4500.

So long story short, I get the feeling that the chimney sweep guys want to replace the whole stack because:
1. It is good for business
2. It is easier to do rather than the chance there's unperceivable warpage to fight with
3. They don't want to get a call back or be stuck trying to fix a system that was old merged with new

I feel like this is an industry where it is easy to over sell services because people have a fear of their house burning down if done incorrectly.
Am I crazy for questioning the opinion of two different chimney sweeps?
Does anyone have links to resources that I can use to better determine if my chimney truly needs to be replaced?

At this point I am very much considering adding back two new pieces myself as I don't see evidence that the whole upper stack needs replacing.
I don't blame they chimney sweeps for having a "just replace it all" policy, but I also don't want to pay an extra $4k if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance!

The age of the pipe is old and it may be impossible to get matching chimney pipe. The pipe might not even make current class A chimney requirements. I get the feeling they are trying to do a proper job and don't want to have to come back in a year to a dissatisfied customer. You are hitting them at a very busy time so don't expect any exceptions in pricing.

Reactions: Revramt
Looking in the pipe I did see the damage he was referring to in the back of the T junction, the walls were blistered looking.

At this point I am very much considering adding back two new pieces myself as I don't see evidence that the whole upper stack needs replacing.
Contractors don't have time to do things half way. If you are mechanically inclined enough to replace some, why not all. I'm not sure I could live with a 50yr system with a history of over fire. I would be up there removing and replacing.
Done, piece of mind.

Generally when one part of a chimney is failed that way the rest of it isn't far behind. I would probably recommend the same thing if you were my customer

Having two different sweeps come out and tell you it needs replaced is a pretty good indicator. Their are folks out there that upsell and all that but the majority of business owners and their employees are just doing their job and what is right.....at least thats my thinking. Besides if you had not had a suspicion you wouldnt have called a sweep....not to b rude..just my thoughts. Id get it replaced.

Gauge how old you pipe is by google maps, if your house is in a good satellite or street view location go to google earth and look at the history, see what year the chimney popped up, you can get info for the last 25year easily... hate to make people feel old but that would be only circa 1995

Reactions: Revramt and Ludlow
I learned in HVAC that you never patch in or fudge with critical components. If there is a problem you replace with new or reject the job. Its a liability thing really.

Reactions: Revramt and bholler