Ever see one of these?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redlegs

Feeling the Heat
Saw this CL in Topeka.

http://topeka.craigslist.org/zip/3567226299.html

Not gonna respond to the b/c I can't even imagine how someone thinks asking an unknown stranger to drop a giant oak tree next to your house is gonna work out just fine???
Was curious if other areas saw similar ads?

OAK Street.JPG

OAK SAT.JPG

Wow, people will be lined up for this opportunity!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I like the part about how much lumber it will produce. People have no clue.

fv

Yeah, that kind of stuff is pretty common on CL. That is a BIG ONE though.
I wonder if it's only trees or if I could get other stuff done for free too.
"I would like someone to come rake my leaves each fall for free. You keep the leaves!"
"My bathroom drain is clogged with hair and slimey, smelly gunk. You unclog it & you can keep the hair ball! Great for wig making!"

Yep, see that all the time. Odd how the ads stay up for weeks on end. You'd think they'd get sick of fending off the surplus replies.

Reactions: PapaDave
Of course, you don't have to work too hard to imagine a circumstance in which someone might post something like this as a desperate Hail Mary pass... fixed income, huge tree next to the house, insurance company telling you it has to come down or they'll drop coverage...

Reactions: midwestcoast
Good point Jon. The cost to take that down could be prohibitive for some. Like me.
I wouldn't want to spend $1000 or more for that.
We had a tree taken down many years ago and we found a guy and crew that did it for $400. Shared the cost with the neighbors (their tree, but causing problems for us to).
That was VERY cheap at the time as we also had quotes for much more than that from bigger outfits.

Not sure I would base my decision on who would do such a complicated job based solely on the cheapest quote......just saying.

Good point Jon. The cost to take that down could be prohibitive for some. Like me.
I wouldn't want to spend $1000 or more for that.
We had a tree taken down many years ago and we found a guy and crew that did it for $400. Shared the cost with the neighbors (their tree, but causing problems for us to).
That was VERY cheap at the time as we also had quotes for much more than that from bigger outfits.
Here on LI a tree service would ask 3 or 4 grand to take that tree down. Maybe thats the kind of bill hes looking at.

Reactions: ScotO
Have been seeing this ad on and off all winter from the Flint Michigan CL. I really Really want to get over there to get the wood but I cant seem to find the time....

Linkey
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello! Thank you for viewing my ad.

I have posted an ad similar to this over the past year. I've gotten many inquiries, but it seems like there are no serious ones. This is a LARGE TREE that needs to be cut down. You will need to climb, so you must have equipment, or be in the tree industry, or know someone who is. This tree has structures all around it, and will need to come down in pieces.

IF YOU ARE STILL INTERESTED, please email me at the address provided. You are more than welcome to come see the tree before we make a deal, and I don't mind if you leave the stump behind.

Please only email if you are serious.
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Posting ID: 3577398907

Posted: 2013-01-28, 12:35PM EST

email to a friend
-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3Gb3M83Lb5If5Ha5Mbd1oc7105c920e8e1965[1].jpg

3E23K33M55Le5I95K9d1o8e85367cad19153d[1].jpg
3Ec3G83L45N85Gd5Jcd1oad69ccf0c16d17e5[1].jpg
3Kb3Ge3J15Lb5G65Ebd1o1847da6b51dc12b3[1].jpg

I have a large barn that needs painted. You can keep the paint buckets when you are done in return for painting my barn. We all know how nice paint buckets are...and how it is nearly impossible to find them if you don't paint barns for free.

Anyone interested?

I have a large barn that needs painted. You can keep the paint buckets when you are done in return for painting my barn. We all know how nice paint buckets are...and how it is nearly impossible to find them if you don't paint barns for free.

Anyone interested?

Do I need insurance?

Reactions: Scols
what do you get when you cross a giant tree with a small house???a lot of firewood....
Yup, either way.....firewood when the tree is down.....firewood from the framing of the crushed house should things go wrong

Oh, let's see now, you want the tree cut down and you want your house too?:oops:
Can I keep all the wood? Also the firewood?

Reactions: Redlegs
There has been some good ones in our area, too. The one that stands out in my mind was a guy over in Johnstown that had a huge sugar maple and a huge white pine (both trees around 70-90'). Anyway, he wanted them down (for FREE), he expected the person cutting g them to be licensed and insured, and he was kind enough to give you all of the maple wood on one condition......you had to take the pine and all the branches with you!!!

What an ASS!!

There has been some good ones in our area, too. The one that stands out in my mind was a guy over in Johnstown that had a huge sugar maple and a huge white pine (both trees around 70-90'). Anyway, he wanted them down (for FREE), he expected the person cutting g them to be licensed and insured, and he was kind enough to give you all of the maple wood on one condition......you had to take the pine and all the branches with you!!!

What an ASS!!
Thats a fair deal, 5 or 6 grand worth of work in exchange for $1000 in wood that YOU have to process and to add insult to injury you have to deal with the brush. Id rather get a sharp stick in the eye.

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.