1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Ever seen hedge tall and slender?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Constrictor, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Constrictor

Constrictor Member

Loc:
    Home of the white squirrel Missouri
    I looked at 2 downed hedge trees today, at least they look like hedge when i cut a small notch out of them to see. The thing is they are both tall and slender, like a walnut tree but they are both bright mustard yellow inside, have i got the wrong wood?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. KarlP

KarlP Feeling the Heat

Mulberry?
  3. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    It can grow tall and (somewhat) straight - especially if it's not tangled up in a hedge row, or someone 'pruned' the main stem to make it bushy, and it's not amongst a tight group of other trees.

Any leaves left? Hedge and mulberry are pretty easy to spot the difference...Hedge left, Mulberry right

Attached Files:

4. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    to me the hedge trees look like an apple tree on steroids!
  5. Constrictor

Constrictor Member

Loc:
    Home of the white squirrel Missouri
    The 2 trees are both down dead no leaves. I cut a slice off and brought it to work and 2 guys said hedge. But i told them about the tall slender tree and they both said no way hedge. It also was a bit light in weight for hedge but the color is EXACTLY hedge!
  6. bsruther

bsruther Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky
    Mulberry can easily be mistaken for hedge/osage. It's also a geat burning wood. Osage is a medium sized tree. I think the record tree is about 50 ft. I rarely see them taller than 30 ft.
    The thickest trunks I've seen are no more than 18". Large thorns are always present on the smaller branches. I've never seen one that is straight and slender and I've seen a lot of them. They are easy to pick out, when I'm driving down the road in the late fall because they are one of the last trees to lose their leaves.
    Here are some pics of different osage trees in the yard.
    I think of them like a savings account.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.