1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Ever thought about replacing your glass with a piece of cast iron?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by hyfire, Nov 8, 2013.

1. hyfire

hyfire Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ont, Canada
    Looking for opinions to replace the stove glass with a piece of cast iron, what radiates more heat?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. St_Earl

St_Earl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    millinocket, north central maine
    i would never.
    besides liking looking at the flame, i like to see what's going on with the burn..

and since the vast bulk of your heat is coming from the exchanger, i'd have to guess that any difference in radiance between glass and iron would be basically meaningless.
  3. hyfire

hyfire Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ont, Canada
    Doing more research it looks like the glass radiates more heat, so guess the glass stays. I,m just nervous of it cracking, but I guess its proven to be safe. No worry then!
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  4. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

dont sweat about it breaking, although it certainly can break, its fairly rare. Usually the result of a family member doing something they weren't supposed to near the stove and not admitting to it.....
  5. Caribfan

Caribfan Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I agree with Earl. I would never replace glass, not only for looks but so I can see the operation of the stove to help diagnose any problems
  6. Madcodger

Madcodger Guest

Ditto. Glass stays for all reasons sbove.
  7. Dgopetactical

Dgopetactical Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    York County, Pa
    I would never do that. Unless the glass broke and it was temporary to keep the stove running until the new glass arrived.
    Denny
  8. My Oslo heats my home

My Oslo heats my home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    I was in a pinch my first year with an older VC. The glass was broken in 2 places when I got it, and I was tight for money and needed the stove to run. So for 2 mos. The glass was replaced with 1/4" plate steel. It did the job, and luckily no warps or further damage. In a pinch, yes...for permanent no.
  9. hyfire

hyfire Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ont, Canada
    Ya that is a good idea to get up and running, did you feel less radiant heat with the steel?
  10. My Oslo heats my home

My Oslo heats my home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    I can't really say I could feel a difference at all. The sq inch of glass space is so little compared to the stove itself.