Ever wonder how much wood your 6 cu.ft wheelbarrow holds?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
I know it can`t be 6 cubic feet. because I burn about a wheelbarrow per. day. and burn a cord every 40+ days.

This would seem to indicate it holds approx. 3 cu.ft.? 40 days x 3 cu.ft = 120 cu. ft or slightly less than a cord.

Guess the only sure way to tell is to lay the wood on the ground and measure it and then load the wheelbarrow.

Anyone done this yet??

How much wood you get in it depends on how you load it up. If it says its a 6 cu ft barrow, it 6 cu ft. But thats like 6 cu ft of water...lots of air between those splits.

Are you burning anything today Sonny? 57 high and still 54. Not complaining. I split up another batch of wood for next year. But this is a little silly. We've still got leaves on some trees. Rhodies and roses are confused and blooming on some plants. This is one odd November for us.

BeGreen said:
Are you burning anything today Sonny? 57 high and still 54. Not complaining. I split up another batch of wood for next year. But this is a little silly. We've still got leaves on some trees. Rhodies and roses are confused and blooming on some plants. This is one odd November for us.

Yes BG: been burning everyday since late sept. Unlike yourself, we don`t have a heat pump for the milder days. Outside temps here are about the same as yours. House is "cooking". 77 upstairs. Can`t watch the big screen downstairs, just too damn hot. It still is very economical heat though.

Ya, I have 2 rhodies blooming as well, although this has happened in previous years.

The heat pump would be sweet for this climate, but at my age is just not in the cards. Wiring would need to be upgraded,etc. Probably total investment somewhere around 10k.

On the plus side however, the wife agrees that it would be far more sensible to just get a second big screen for the upstairs living room. And who am I to argue with that kind of Wisdom ;-)

When I load up my 6 cu ft wheelbarrow, I use some of the thinner splits for stakes front and rear so with a good size crown on it, I can load up way more than 6 cu ft. I store 8 cu ft fireside and one wheelbarrow load usually does it. Sometimes I take my sling with me when I return the wheelbarrow to top of my pile.

On the plus side however, the wife agrees that it would be far more sensible to just get a second big screen for the upstairs living room. And who am I to argue with that kind of Wisdom

How lucky for you !!

If you'd like some info on what not to buy, give me a holler.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
On the plus side however, the wife agrees that it would be far more sensible to just get a second big screen for the upstairs living room. And who am I to argue with that kind of Wisdom

How lucky for you !!

If you'd like some info on what not to buy, give me a holler.
The ONLY time the words "big screen" and "living room" are spoken by my wife, it has to do with putting up or taking down the bug screens. The living room has the biggest bug screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.