Evidence to not cover woodpile in the summer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This makes it easy to cover and uncover. I just roll up the tarp in the 2x4 when sunny and roll her back down in bad weather.

Attachments

• 100_1003.JPG
    100_1003.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,962
thechimneysweep said:
You folks in the NE are fortunate: It may rain occasionally in your Winter months, but by and large In the Pacific NW, the ambient moisture level is 14%, which, coupled with the nearly constant drizzle in Winter months, creates the need to cover your woodpile at all the times. An uncovered woodpile in the Pacific NW will not only adversely affect the performance of your stove, but will go "punky" so fast ot will make your head spin.

Well, there are are some distinctly different local climates within the area we call the Pacific Northwest. Those of us in the PNW who live east of the Cascades are in arid high desert country, and we don't don't receive anything like the precipitation over on the "wet side". I can leave the tarps off my wood most of the year without fear of it getting very wet. Only from about November to February do I sweat it too much, and that's just because it's a pain to have to keep knocking the snow off the wood before bringing it in to burn. When we lived in Northern Virginia, it was a bigger challenge...lots more rain, a good deal of snow, and summertime humidity that'll take your breath away. Fungus, mold, mildew, vines, poison ivy, spiders, mice...everything wanted to grow all over and in wood piles stacked outside. I don't have to deal with any of that here in Central Oregon. Rick

fossil said:
When we lived in Northern Virginia, it was a bigger challenge...lots more rain, a good deal of snow, and summertime humidity that'll take your breath away. Fungus, mold, mildew, vines, poison ivy, spiders, mice...everything wanted to grow all over and in wood piles stacked outside.

Yep. And snakes in the wood piles. Lots of snakes in the wood piles. Feeding on the mice.

BrotherBart said:
... And snakes in the wood piles. Lots of snakes in the wood piles.

Oh yes, I forgot the snakes. Black ones, mostly, and apparently harmless. Once in the woodpile out at our weekend place on the South Fork of the Shenandoah, a vivid red & white one...I think called a "milk snake", also apparently harmless...but I hate snakes. :shut: Rick

It's the red-yellow-black ones you want to stay away from. That and the ones with the noisemakers on their tails.

billb3 said:
I left my car out last night instead of garaging it.
It started just fine this morning, so that must be evidence for not garaging any more.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

mtarbert said:
The wood I don't keep in a 20ft storage container I keep covered with...Good Old Rubber Roofing.....IMHO the best wood tarp....bar none.

How do you keep the rubber roofing on it? Dosen't it blow off it? Or do you just put a few Splits on top?

Thanks for the rubber roofing idea.....

Brian

i just toss a few splits on top

Thanks Highbeam. My shed is open on 3 sides and I think my wood is drying quite nicely. I'm going to take your advice about not tenting my other wood - as I have seen some mold and even a few mushrooms on some of my exposed piles.

bjleau said:
mtarbert said:
The wood I don't keep in a 20ft storage container I keep covered with...Good Old Rubber Roofing.....IMHO the best wood tarp....bar none.

How do you keep the rubber roofing on it? Dosen't it blow off it? Or do you just put a few Splits on top?

Thanks for the rubber roofing idea.....

Brian

Yes, and I almost thru away my old deck coat. the vinyl, and am now using it to cover that which I can`t fit into my woodsheds. Just a few splits on top keeps it anchored. Good to keep in mind though what Tom Oyen said, if ya live on the pacific coast, ya just have to cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.