Excel black stove pipe how to secure to cathedral support

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smokey D Bear

Nov 1, 2020
Bc
In our small very rustic cabin my husband has built a alcove with cathedral support for the our old Osborne woodstove . We our installing the new black excel pipe ( the telescopic or adjustable ) ourselves . My question or need for clarification is that how is the pipe secured to the support box? I recall reading on this forum not to screw into the support with the excel or icc pipe. With the pipe the end that is nearest the support is crimped with no predrillled holes .As the pipe is expensive we would hate to ruin it by drilling holes when we should not have. We have found the manual instructions are unclear regarding this . How should we attach it to the support? . Thanks for any help

The pipe end NEAREST the support box is NOT crimped.
The crimp should be on the lower side so that it fits INTO
Whatever is below it, whether it's another pipe section,
or the flue collar on the stove.

In our small very rustic cabin my husband has built a alcove with cathedral support for the our old Osborne woodstove . We our installing the new black excel pipe ( the telescopic or adjustable ) ourselves . My question or need for clarification is that how is the pipe secured to the support box? I recall reading on this forum not to screw into the support with the excel or icc pipe. With the pipe the end that is nearest the support is crimped with no predrillled holes .As the pipe is expensive we would hate to ruin it by drilling holes when we should not have. We have found the manual instructions are unclear regarding this . How should we attach it to the support? . Thanks for any help

Is your telescopic pipe double wall that looks like this?

Amazon product ASIN B0043A6SU4
This is what I use and is indeed crimped (outer pipe layer only) up top. This pipe does get drilled up top in the crimped area for fastening. The crimped area is then covered with a decorative smooth band as it is correctly exposed.

I have not used the Excel product and you should picture it for those who have to help.

The Excel class A chimney should have a transition band that is screwed to it. This band extends through the support box and the telescoping piece screws to it from the living area and "hangs" from this band.

Thanks so then the stove must need a transition as the crimp is the exact same size as the stove outlet

The Excel class A chimney should have a transition band that is screwed to it. This band extends through the support box and the telescoping piece screws to it from the living area and "hangs" from this band.
Thanks so then the stove must need a transition as the crimp is the exact same size as the stove outletTTtt
Thanks so then the stove must need a transition as the crimp is the exact same size as the stove outlet
Thankyou guys for such quick replies.The cathedral box does not have a transition band . We are several hours to fireplace store . I will go back there tomorrow
I

Post some pictures and we may be able to help

Yes the pipe looks like yours Although they sent no trim collar I just looked online excel advertisement online shows pipe with trim collar
C85290E3-7C57-4515-8306-501A695998B3.png

Was the flue extension attached to the bottom length of the chimney pipe before it was set into the support box? The top portion of the UBAF stove pipe slips over this extension. Attach with three 3/4" screws.

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 7.54.44 AM.png

Flueextension no

Yes it worked, Thankyou all if world problems could only be solved so quickly. We needed a fire to dry the drywall mud. Now have a fire going it is working well. Will do the cultured stone once the outer wall drywall is complete. Found the trim and proper screws so all parts came with it. As it is double wall the inner crimped fitted inside the fireplace flange the outer resting on the fireplace. No transition needed. The top of the pipe fit over the support box flue extension.
0E41FA52-978C-40F0-A01B-EEEC0621F4A9.jpeg