Two new stoves and chimney designs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John Galt

Burning Hunk
Oct 22, 2019
W Montana
I'm looking for help and thoughts on chimney design, additional parts needed for the chimneys, items that will help with burning or be convenient to add now, etc. This is your time to show your geek or purist sides plus toss in some technical information. Examples would be flue thermometer, dampers, manometer, fireproof caulk locations, or a 22 year old girl to load the stove and bring me whiskey. I will be doing the installs myself but always look for advice on things I haven't done before. I can post floor plans if anyone is interested since things have quieted down at the end of the season and everyone is bored now. The house is under construction, I finished the framing before winter hit and now ready to get it dried in.

First is a BK King with an OAK, using ICC Excel pipe and chimney:
This will be our primary stove located in the living room on the main level on an exterior wall. Open floor plan for most of the public areas. 9' cathedral ceiling, 3' insulated dead space between the ceiling and decked attic floor. Chimney will have a boxed chase in the attic. Metal roof, pitch 5/12.

Current plan, 1st image: One section of adjustable length stove pipe from the stove to the support box. The support box will be 8" down from the ceiling so the pipe will be extended to 65" (Max is 67") A support box extension, an additional 24", will be used to get through the dead space and into the attic. Chimney height in the attic is 9'7" from the floor and will extended through the roof an additional 4' 4", two feet above the ridge. Flashing, storm collars and rain cap (no screen @Highbeam :)) will be outside. Chimney is 18' and pipe is 5'5" for a total 23' 5" length. We get some wild gusts of wind in our canyon but I was not going to use a roof brace since it is under five feet and close to the ridge.

Next is a BK Princess using ICC Excel pipe and chimney, 2nd & 3rd images:
This one is in the basement in a large room. It will be used as needed or full time depending on temps and what how much we are hanging out in the basement "Tavern", it is still an unknown. The construction is the same as above with the addition of the extra nine feet of the basement.

Current Plan: One section of adjustable length stove pipe from the stove to the support box. The support box will be 8" down from the ceiling so the pipe will be extended to 65" (Max is 67") The chimney will be in a boxed chase through the main level, go into a radiation shield as it enters the 3' dead space (I will probably box this in as well to prevent insulation from encroaching), and into another radiation shield as it goes through the attic floor. Another 5'10" boxed chase in the attic, through the roof with the same flashing set up as the other, and rise above the metal roof 6'2". This one will have a roof brace and snow shield. Chimney is 26' and pipe is 5'5" for a total 31'5" length. With all of the reading I've done here I know the draft will be high so I will probably add a damper in the pipe. Since this has an adjustable pipe, should I place that at the support box?

Many thanks.

Living Stove.pngBasement Stove bottom.pngBasement Stove top.png

Your a long ways ahead of most in your planning. I wouldn't sweat the damper scenario until it is proven needed.

What elevation are you at? Might want to research that effect on your chimney setup. BK's have great primary air control.

I'am more interested in seeing updates on the 22yr old girl hired to stoke the stoves/bring whiskey:cool: Grrrrrrr!

I'm at 3200 feet. I have read so many statements about fly ash on the cat with tall chimneys I figured I'd in that same boat. That's why the damper and manometer were mentioned. I was thinking an extra $100 to make things perfect is no big deal when you look at the wad of cash going into the two systems.

I'm at 3200 feet. I have read so many statements about fly ash on the cat with tall chimneys I figured I'd in that same boat. That's why the damper and manometer were mentioned. I was thinking an extra $100 to make things perfect is no big deal when you look at the wad of cash going into the two systems.

With the Princess on a 31' flue, the manometer is edging away from 'good for fine tuning' category and towards the 'required for proper operation' category anyway.

So everyone is in favor of having the 22 year old load the stove? I was hoping for more insight on the rest of the set up. :)

The issues with the 22yr old girl is that your only going to see her once a day since your burning BK's. Long burn times do come with some sacrifices.

So the radiation shields are primarily used for a fire stop between floors?

Two two year olds as promised. Can't get them to load the stove yet.

image.pngimage.png