Excel chimney installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jan 14, 2018
Wisconsin
Hi,

Please see the pictures below showing how my ICC Excel Chimney was installed on a Napoleon NZ5000. I'm concerned that it is installed at an angle such that the chimney to anchor plate junction is not aligned and the chimney section below the radiation shield and the chimney section that goes through the radiation shield are at an angle to one another.

Doesn't the resultant gap between the chimney sections defeat the insulation when the sections aren't installed plumb and flush to each other? Won't creosote collect in the gap between the sections?

Thanks,

--
Dan

Top.jpg

Angle.jpg

Bottom.jpg

Looks wonky.Why is that angled wood block there? Is the sloped chipboard above it the roof or is there a space above this? Why wasn't the hole made plumb? Is there an obstruction above?

Looks wonky.Why is that angled wood block there? Is the sloped chipboard above it the roof or is there a space above this? Why wasn't the hole made plumb? Is there an obstruction above?

They used a radiation shield for.a flat ceiling but this is a cathedral ceiling. The space above the OSB is 16” high parallel trusses, 7.5 inches of spray foam insulation and the roof sheathing.

They should have used a radiation shield for a cathedral ceiling that allows for the angle.

Even with the shield they used it looks like someone mismeasured centerlines.

I thought this issue would generate more interest.

I called ICC Excel this morning. They said the sections must be installed with the next overlapping section completely touching the bead of the previous section. What has been done here is not allowed and is not safe because the insulation won’t work in the “gap” where the sections aren’t completely seated.

You would think someone responsible for installing something that has human life safety implications would be more careful.

Now the battle to get this sloppy job fixed.

Reactions: Squisher
Yes, I'm surprised others didn't jump on this too. It's sloppy work at best and now Excel has made it clear that it is unacceptable. Best of luck getting it straightened out.

I thought this issue would generate more interest.

I called ICC Excel this morning. They said the sections must be installed with the next overlapping section completely touching the bead of the previous section. What has been done here is not allowed and is not safe because the insulation won’t work in the “gap” where the sections aren’t completely seated.

You would think someone responsible for installing something that has human life safety implications would be more careful.

Now the battle to get this sloppy job fixed.
Agreed, they should have used more care. Safety aside, it’s clear it’s a sloppy job, not centred on the upper shield and not straight... sheesh.

I’m sorry about your disappointment and wish you the best in setting it straight... literally :)

You did the right thing by calling the manufacturer.

Thanks for reporting back with your course of action and findings. Sloppy work is all too common in the industry. I wonder how many installs they've done.......

Last edited by a moderator:
When all is fixed and done right, be sure to vacuum up all sawdust on top of and around the fireplace before it gets sealed up.

Reactions: Squisher