Excess smoke in house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Havlikn

Jan 19, 2022
Wi
We have a pacific energy Neo 2.5 insert.

Over the weekend we have found the our fireplace is not burning the same. With the damper wide open we are not getting a good quality burn and if we crack the door open on the fireplace, there is excess smoke that is coming into our room.

We are using the same quality of wood we have been using all year. Any suggestions on what to look at?

clean, and start burning a little hotter, air is a necessary ingredient for combustion, some days you can close perhaps completely, other days, cloudy especially the chimney will not have the same draft and therefore you cannot close equally

Reactions: ozarkoak
The point is that your wood may be marginal and/or choked the fire too much, and you may have slowly built up deposits in your flue that are now restricting the draft. That would explain why it worked up to now, with the wood that you have.

So the first action indeed should be to clean the flue (and see how much stuff is in there) and to inspect the cap (e.g. a screen with small holes being clogged by creosote?).

The second step is to get a moisture meter, resplit a piece of wood and check the moisture of your wood. If it's above 20% that is bad and causing excessive creosote. This can lead to a chimney fire which could burn your house down.

Reactions: stoveliker
I am going to sweep the liner tonight. No real changes in weather and it’s the same without burning burning all year long which burns just fine.

Found the culprit. Wasn’t much for creosote in the liner. Just the top cover.

IMG_2557.jpeg

The odd thing I thought was there was hardly any build up on the walls. Should I look at getting a different cover?
Creosote condenses at the coolest point which is your cap. Make sure your wood is under 20% and burn hot 🔥 don’t choke primary air down too soon especially on cold start. I like getting the flue temp up and cut primary air in stages.

Reactions: ozarkoak
The odd thing I thought was there was hardly any build up on the walls. Should I look at getting a different cover?
Yes. As you've seen, that style is among the worst for plugging. Ideally you want something with large open spaces. Personally I'm also against any type of screen. Although some fire codes require a screen, I think they tend to cause more problems than they solve.

Yes. As you've seen, that style is among the worst for plugging. Ideally you want something with large open spaces. Personally I'm also against any type of screen. Although some fire codes require a screen, I think they tend to cause more problems than they solve.

A large screen is good to have, but like a 3/4 inch screen. It's never fun getting birds and squirrels out of the stove over the summer.

I have a Ventis cap which I’m really liking on my class A. Clamp style with longer slits about 3/4” or so high. Taller cap not that restrictive.

I put an old pillow case on top the flue in summer. I never had any animals in there yet.