Exhaust fan question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nedb

Hearth Supporter
Nov 26, 2008
Western Washington state
I took my exhaust fan apart for cleaning and bearing replacement, now I'm not sure which way the fan 'blades' are meant to be facing on the motor shaft. I put it together the way it seemed right to me, but honestly, it might not be the right way. I just don't know.

The blades are a disk with maybe a dozen arms, and each arm forms sort of a cup (you might say more like two sides of a four sided cup). IOW, each arm is folded into a couple of surfaces at right angles to each other. If you've seen a fan like this you'll know what I mean, right?

Anyway, my exhaust motor turns counter-clockwise (seen from the motor side of the fan), so I figure the cups/blades ought to face toward the exhaust outlet so they "throw" air out to the stove pipe. This means the fan disk would be mounted on the motor shaft with the open side of the fan blades/cups facing the motor (they're facing away from where the exhaust comes into the fan housing).

But I was looking at an England Stove Works pellet stove at the home center, and inside the exhaust port I could see that the fan blade cups were facing back into the fan instead of outward toward the stove pipe. I guess their fan is designed to turn clockwise? Or maybe I've got fan blade design figured wrong?

I went home and reversed my fan. It seems to move air just as well either way, if the fact that the flames in the firebox are not lazy at all is any indication. But I'd like to put the fan blade disk back on the way it was designed to be. I can post a pic of what I'm talking about, but if anyone knows about this and can just tell me how to mount the fan correctly, that'd be great.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

--Ned
Envirofire EF1 (1991)...still going.

flat part towards the motor
here is a photo of a whitifield blower
Exhaust fan question

ive never seen an exhaust fan with the blade set installed any way other than the way the one in hearthtool's picture shows, his picture shows the normal way one is oriented with the flat side to the motor.

Outstanding information, couldn't be clearer. As the fan turns, the pointy part of the blade (the part of the blade that lies flat) trails behind the blade face that moves air. One day I'll learn the real terminology for how to talk about fans, but 'til then I'll at least be able to put them in the right way :)

Thanks for the help, I will install mine the way England and Whitfield do!

--Nedb

Status
Not open for further replies.