Exhaust leak in odd place?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonGT

Oct 19, 2011
Sparta,WI
After redoing my exhaust on my stove and RTV'ing a few spots "just in case" i STILL have a leak...after watching the exhaust with a mirror when it was starting up today it looks like the smoke was coming out of the adapter. It seems to be coming out between the part of the adapter that contacts the stove and the "rolled" part. Anyone else have this happen or heard of it? I did attach the stove pipe to the adapter with a screw as suggested?

here is a pic of the style adapter i have with a arrow pointing to where smoke was coming out?

Exhaust leak in odd place?

I only have experiance with Simpson PV and PVP. I have sealed them to stop leaks in the same area. I have been filling this void area with hi-temp silicon. Seems Selkirk you must do the same and fill the void to stop them from smoking.

Bah,

More crap out a vent.

I guess q/c there sucks as well.

Where was it made?

Break out the RTV....again. Someday the manufacturers will figure it out.

I have never understood how something that is certified be UL in the U.S.A. or the CSA up here can leak. Makes me wonder where its being built. A few years ago watched a program about lamps for sale in Walmart. Made in China, the UL/CSA label were fakes.

I have never understood how something that is certified be UL in the U.S.A. or the CSA up here can leak. Makes me wonder where its being built. A few years ago watched a program about lamps for sale in Walmart. Made in China, the UL/CSA label were fakes.

Bout time you caught on, hell even some of the stuff that isn't is for crap.

We will soon worry about the high temp sealant the rate things are going.

I had drilled a hole in another spot but took the screw out, didn't like how angled it was. I did fill the hole with RTV but didn't think about how the end is "hollow" and i might not have sealed the "inner" hole. I ended up forcing a bunch of RTV into the hole and then chasing it with a screw with RTV on it for good measure. If it still leaks i will have to find a way to fill that void with RTV as suggested. Its hard to get back there and work since who ever built the surround didn't leave much room around the stove as suggested in the directions. :mad:

Fill gap w/ silicone. If not it will leak everytime. The only one that I know that seals well is Harman. Adapter inner sleeve goes inside harman tailpiece and outer goes over tailpiece. This is a much better setup in my opinion. But filling gap w/ silicone works to.

I filled the gap with round stove gasket rope, sealant, installed, sealed the outside, installed screw.. I had the same issue...

I have never understood how something that is certified be UL in the U.S.A. or the CSA up here can leak.
Certification just means that the Engineers that designed it got a "representative sample" to work as described by the governing code. That sample can sometimes be one unit. UL and CSA certification does not mean any kind of ongoing quality monitoring.
If the company is ISO 9000 certified, the company must periodically prove that it is providing to its customers what it claims it is selling through audits of its production and quality assurance systems. If they fail these audits repeatedly, they can lose there certification, which will put some restrictions on how they do business.
When all is said and done, the company is responsible for monitoring itself to its own rules. A little like the fox guarding the hen house.

Status
Not open for further replies.