Exhaust pipe help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knightray5271

Nov 23, 2010
N Maine
I just purchased a new harman p38 to replace an existing wood stove. The stove is in my living room and sits on a large hearth. Behind it is my chimney which runs from the basement to the roof. I have a six inch hole to enter the existing chimney. I priced stove pipe out and it is going to cost$ 250+ for the pelet adaptor, cleanout t, 2 12 inch sections, a ninety, 3-6in increaser. My question is... is there any reason why I can't purchase the single wall 3" pipe instead of the expensive " no heat to the touch" pipe? There are no combustibles near the stove and I don't care if the stove pipe is hot to the touch as the stove will be. Anyone tried this? Pros vs cons? Thanks

You need a flue that can take the corrosion of the pellet exhaust. Type L pellet pipe is designed for this. It is not cool to the touch at all, it gets very hot when the stove is running.

The exhaust will also be a POSI pressure, so if you do not have a air tight sealed vent, smoke will leak out everywhere.

Use the correct pipe! If you cant afford the pipe you should have stuck with woodburner

I have the money, but the reason I have money is because when I see a chance to make money or save money I do. I was simply asking if anyone had tried this because it seemed pointless to use the double wall pipe if it was simply for heat reasons. Im sorry I assumed a stove pipe worked as a stove pipe, and that the double wall was the cadilac of stove pipes and maybe an uneccasary cost. Thanks to all that responded without the ignorance.

Read your Owner's manual and follow it's direction. You will win/save in the long run.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.