Exhaust venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pete317

Feb 7, 2018
Ohio
New to the group and pellet stoves, bought a used englander 25 wondering if the four foot upright pipe outside the wall is necessary or can I just do the straight shot out the wall?...

Welcome to the forums Pete, yes england stoves require a min 3 foot vetical in the exhaust vent and an OAK (outside air kit)

I agree with ssyko that Englander requires 3’ of rise but I will tell you that earlier this year I had a branch come down on my vent during the cold snap and took off the vent clean to the wall where it exits. Wanting to get heat back on quickly I thru on a 12” piece and a cap which was basically all I could save , so basically it was straight out the wall . I will tell you I saw no difference in the burn what so ever . But that being said if you loose power you will not have natural draft to keep smoke out of the house until the fire dies out. Out side air is a must though.