Existing Chimney Concerns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone that is still curious, no one would touch the existing chimney. I'm going to move the stove to the corner of the room and do a through-the-wall installation. Will run 15' of Duratech chimney pipe.

Thanks for the update patdale. Sorry there wasn't a good fix for the old system, but I'm glad you are going to get things set up correctly. Can you reuse the class A pipe and connector, reconfigured with a new tee and thimble?

Thanks for the update patdale. Sorry there wasn't a good fix for the old system, but I'm glad you are going to get things set up correctly. Can you reuse the class A pipe and connector, reconfigured with a new tee and thimble?
Unfortunately no. Existing pipe is galvanized. I will re-use the stove pipe but get new chimney pipe. I will take the old chimney out when I get around to it.

Is it galvalume on the outside, but real class A DuraTech pipe? if so it should be stainless on the inside and have a good long service life. Can you post a picture of one of the pipe labels?

Is it galvalume on the outside, but real class A DuraTech pipe? if so it should be stainless on the inside and have a good long service life. Can you post a picture of one of the pipe labels?
It is duraplus and I think it is galvalume on the outside.I never thought of re-using it. I thought you needed stainless outside.

Nope, class A is class A. The galvalume finish is a bit cheaper and may rust out eventually but I have seen it 10 yrs old and looking fine. It's stainless on the inside where it counts. If the pipe is in good shape I would reuse it.

Status
Not open for further replies.