Expansion tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mark123

Jan 27, 2009
PEI, Canada
Every couple of years I start getting some leaking from my blow off valve and it is because the bladderless expansion tank ( actually 2 plumbed together totally 60 gallons) becomes waterlogged. I have been told to simply drain and let it repressurize by the water feeder. It seems counter intuitive as this method partially fills the tank. Ideally would it not make more sense to pressurize the tank with air to the systems operating pressure at room temperature thus giving the entire volume of the tank for expansion?

No valve like that. Simply 2 horizontal 15 gallon steel tanks totalling 30 gal. (Made mistake on volume in original post.) Placed in floor joists above the boiler. There is a simply auto air bleeder on the top of the boiler. Should the cap on it be tightened to seal it after piping air is removed? I have always left it open to allow for venting of any air that gets into radiant floor piping. E180 Woodgun has 80 gallon water jacket I believe. All 5 zones are radiant in floor pex.

There should be a way to isolate the tank from system, then drain water out of it. You'd also in turn need a way to let air in the top so water will be able to drain from it.

Ya I can isolate it and there are 2 valves...no problem draining it, just curious about adding air pressure rather than letting it half fill with water to pressurize.