Expensive firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burnt2perfection

Hearth Supporter
Sep 28, 2009
Central Illinois
I had to have a shag-bark hickory tree removed at my fishin' cabin. It unfortunately died and was hanging over my neighbors house. Of course it was on a pretty steep incline, and surrounded by hazards so I had to hire a "climber" to take it down. Cost me a bundle, oh well. The tree guy was nice enough to drag all of the firewood to a flat spot up the hill to make it easier for me to process. It wasn't a huge tree, I'd say the trunk might be 20-24 inches. I think there is probably about three pickup loads there. I have never processed a shag-bark. What are they like to split?. I have my MS290 and a #8 maul in the truck. I have access to a nice log splitter, but I'll have to drive quite a bit out of my way to get it. I don't mind splitting by hand, but I try not to be stupid. No sense in beating myself to death. What would you guys do?

I have cut a few shag barks in my day and find them pretty hard to split by hand. I feel using a gas splitter will be much easier. You could try your maul, but I think you will find after a few swings, you will go with the splitter.

It is good wood for heat if you give it some time to season.

Shipper

Hickory is very hardwood keep your chains sharp, it will tough going for the 290. I have only split with a gas spliter and the sounds it makes will scare you! More than worth the effort.

Thanks for the replies guys. I kinda figured it might be a little tough. I brought my files and extra chain. Guess I'll go get the splitter. I am pretty pumped about getting my hands on some hickory though.

I noticed this summer that green hickory is easier to split than after it sits around a while/dead. I would also recommend punting to the splitter since you are dealing with dead hickory. Have fun! Hickory smells great on a campfire too.

You will be happy with that hickory for burning. It has been many, many moons since I've split any hickory but do remember that I used to split it with sledge and wedge. Hard stuff but good.

burnt2,
I'm thinking that that is some premium smokin wood for the guys that smoke meat & fish.
Seems that i saw something on the site about shaggy bark .....
Had a friend as well that did alot of fishing that was very excited when i brought him a
couple of corn sacks of the bark.
Might want to check before you toss it in your stove.
rn

Yep, splitter, & as jay said keep the chain sharp. Shagbark dulls chains fast, & will work that saw pretty hard. A C

Is shagbark worse than the "lesser" hickories? I've split a couple of pignut or bitternut hickories by hand, a bit stringy but not too bad. Both were fairly green though I think. Never got my hands on any shagbark.

It can be real tempermental. As the wood dries it becomes more compact and tighter and as a result can give the maul a hard time. It's probably related to growth patterns because sometimes, like in baseball bats, the right sudden pressure and the wood will snap. Otherwise it can be a down-right slugfest wrestling match. Red elm on the other hand is usually a stringy split until it goes punky.

Hello burnt2...I have cut and split alot of shag-bark over the years. I Find it goes good with a sharp chain. The real big ones I have left in my wood lot for the wildlife. In years past I split by hand...:)...but now use a 27 ton Craftsman machine...would use a gas splitter for the simple reason it's easier then by hand...:) Oldmainer

I know everyone likes pics. Here's the stack I started with.

Attachments

• Hickory1.jpg
    Hickory1.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 319
  • Hickory2.jpg
    Hickory2.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 300
First load. I sharpened my chain before even starting and haven't had and problems cutting the stuff. It's definately tough stuff though. Three tanks of gas, and three loads of wood. Need to re-sharpen. No way I could have split this stuff by hand. I'll post some pics of my stacks later.

Attachments

• Hickory3.jpg
    Hickory3.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 300
I split some shagbark yesterday and hated it.

Status
Not open for further replies.