Experiences with Drolet Stoves? Share burn time, over all quality? etc?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like all stoves, look to the size of the firebox to determine your burn time. The smaller the firebox, the shorter the burn times. I've never heard anything bad about Drolet. It's one of the brands owned by Stove Builder International, Inc, which also owns the Osburn and Napoleon wood stove brands, I believe.

InTheRockies said:
Like all stoves, look to the size of the firebox to determine your burn time. The smaller the firebox, the shorter the burn times. I've never heard anything bad about Drolet. It's one of the brands owned by Stove Builder International, Inc, which also owns the Osburn and Napoleon wood stove brands, I believe.

I am really new at this, what size firebox burns the longer then 8 hours? The drolet escape fire box is 21"W x 16.5"D and the myriad is Width: 18.25" Height: 20.25" Is there a chart that gives a recommended burn time per size?

vizzle said:
InTheRockies said:

I am really new at this, what size firebox burns the longer then 8 hours? The drolet escape fire box is 21"W x 16.5"D and the myriad is Width: 18.25" Height: 20.25" Is there a chart that gives a recommended burn time per size?

If you are looking for 8 hours, the bigger box listed would be the direction to start heading.

The dimensions you've looked at may be the outside dimensions of the stove, not the firebox. Sometimes it's hard to determine the cubic feet of the firebox without actually measuring the interior. I suspect you'll want a firebox that's at least 2 cubic feet. What size space are you wanting to heat, how well insulated is it, what's the layout? You're back east so at least you'll have access to hardwoods, which burn longer (especially bigger pieces). I just installed a new, inexpensive EPA-approved stove. It's got a smaller firebox than the old smoke dragon it replaced, but it's 2 cf. I've only tried one overnight burn and got 7 hours--had a good bed of red hot coals and got a fire reestablished easily--just laid a split on the coals and it took off. I'm in the NW and the predominant wood available is softwood conifers, which just don't have the burn time that hardwoods provide.

Wolf Steel makes the Napoleon stoves.

The 1800 Escape has a 2.3 cubic foot firebox. Eight hour heat should be achievable and they seem to be a good quality stove Burn time means so many things to so many people that it is virtually undefinable.

To manufacturers it means until the last glimmer of the last coal is dead and gone. To some it means until the stove top drops below 400 degrees. To some it means the last chance they have to start a new load using just the remaining coals.

In this house it means until the house starts getting colder. Which occurs about the time the stove top comes down to around 100 degrees which is about the same temp air a heat pump puts out.

InTheRockies said:
The dimensions you've looked at may be the outside dimensions of the stove, not the firebox. Sometimes it's hard to determine the cubic feet of the firebox without actually measuring the interior. I suspect you'll want a firebox that's at least 2 cubic feet. What size space are you wanting to heat, how well insulated is it, what's the layout? You're back east so at least you'll have access to hardwoods, which burn longer (especially bigger pieces). I just installed a new, inexpensive EPA-approved stove. It's got a smaller firebox than the old smoke dragon it replaced, but it's 2 cf. I've only tried one overnight burn and got 7 hours--had a good bed of red hot coals and got a fire reestablished easily--just laid a split on the coals and it took off. I'm in the NW and the predominant wood available is softwood conifers, which just don't have the burn time that hardwoods provide.

I was just going off the manufacturer website. I am not sure where else to find it.

The myriad also says

Deep firebox of 3.1ft3

That's great that they post the firebox size online--their info should be accurate. Hopefully, someone who owns a Drolet will respond to your post. Our overnight temps are only going down into the 30's, clearly, it will get much colder when winter weather sets in, but my house was a toasty 73 degrees this morning when I got up, even though the fire had been reduced to red-hot coals. I wasn't sure if I'd regret getting a stove with a firebox that's only 2 cf--I was pleasantly surprised at the length of this first overnight burn. You can increase burn times with the type of wood you burn, too. At least you're in an area that has hardwoods readily available.

Status
Not open for further replies.