Expertise/knowledge sought - Wood stove ID and info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cabin Man

Dec 7, 2013
Michigan
Please see the attached photo. It was a gift. I've cleaned the unit thoroughly, but cannot find any ID marks on it. I'm using it to heat my N. Michigan backwoods log cabin.

Can you identify this stove? Brand, make, model?

Note "crank" on left side. It closes a drop down metal door. I'd like to:

1: Replace the two glass doors and
2. Learn how to maximize the stove's operation.

Can you help?

Thanks!
Cabin Man <>< Wood stove 1.jpg

Attachments

• Wood stove 2.jpg
    Wood stove 2.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 208
just when I think I've seen them all......and I've seen a lot!

I have hundreds of spec sheets and ads and trade journals which I peruse here.....and have never seen this one! I suspect this is either a one-up or a very small run from somewhere regional or local that never made it to the marketplace. Here's why.....

The fabrication is definitely pro. Most local welding shops could not make those bends, etc.

BUT, the use of doors and kitchen cabinet handles like that - no way they would have passed ANY test lab standards! Most stoves made from 1979 on would have been designed for those tests....

I say this is some kind of prototype.

As to replacement of anything - you can order ceramic glass panels over the net or from a local shop. If you want to replace the doors themselves, you'd have to to figure out sizing and mounting - tough one!

I wish I could help you more, but I say 98% this thing is homemade...but by someone who worked in a fab shop

I don't know about the stove either but I sure do likes the looks of that cabin... I'm southern Michigan here.

When you say the crank opens a drop down door is that internal to the stove? I'm wondering if it wasn't designed as a catalytic which would point to some efficiency.

just when I think I've seen them all......and I've seen a lot!

I have hundreds of spec sheets and ads and trade journals which I peruse here.....and have never seen this one! I suspect this is either a one-up or a very small run from somewhere regional or local that never made it to the marketplace. Here's why.....

The fabrication is definitely pro. Most local welding shops could not make those bends, etc.

BUT, the use of doors and kitchen cabinet handles like that - no way they would have passed ANY test lab standards! Most stoves made from 1979 on would have been designed for those tests....

I say this is some kind of prototype.

As to replacement of anything - you can order ceramic glass panels over the net or from a local shop. If you want to replace the doors themselves, you'd have to to figure out sizing and mounting - tough one!

I wish I could help you more, but I say 98% this thing is homemade...but by someone who worked in a fab shop

Thanks for the prompt and interesting response! I'm suspecting the 'gift-er' may be the 'creator'.....so I'll try to do some 'respectful' investigation. It's true the doors are quite 'flimsy', and seem inconsistent with the substantive quality found in the rest of the unit. I'll be interested to learn if there are other expert assessments and/or perspective on this unit and thread!

I don't know about the stove either but I sure do likes the looks of that cabin... I'm southern Michigan here.

When you say the crank opens a drop down door is that internal to the stove? I'm wondering if it wasn't designed as a catalytic which would point to some efficiency.[/quote

Thanks for the kind comment about the cabin. It was 'crafted' (custom designed and built) by an Amish/Mennonite friend of mine, and I've done all of the work on the 'inside' to 'finish' it.

Yes the crank opens/closes the very heavy steel drop down door internal to the stove. I can close it before hitting the sack, and I usually have embers glowing 6-8 hours later...even in 15-20 degree (outside) temps.

So, are the doors simply screened? Does the cranked down plate close off the front of the firebox just behind the screen doors? Am I understanding this correctly? I've certainly never seen anything quite like it. Rick

So it burns more like a fireplace... then you crank a door closed and it's more like a stove?

It would be cool if the gifter was the creator because certainly there is some good craftsmanship here.

Probably main concerns would be efficiency / emissions.

So, are the doors simply screened? Does the cranked down plate close off the front of the firebox just behind the screen doors? Am I understanding this correctly? I've certainly never seen anything quite like it. Rick

Yes. You are exactly correct... :) in your understanding. It is indeed unique.... and does provide 'good' heat... once it's thoroughly 'cooking'....

d <><

So it burns more like a fireplace... then you crank a door closed and it's more like a stove?

It would be cool if the gifter was the creator because certainly there is some good craftsmanship here.

Probably main concerns would be efficiency / emissions.

If I do find out... I'll share if permitted. Efficiency/emissions? She cranks the heat once it's cooking. Emissions? I'm "guessing" 'relatively' speaking - and realistically - insignificant; i.e. relative to a fireplace or campfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.