1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Extending a chimney

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by dhorton, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhorton

dhorton New Member

Loc:
    northern ny
    Considering installing a wood furnace (Englander) in my basement. My current furnace is forced air LP so I could tap into the plenum so that seems pretty straight forward. I would like to extend the chimney of my wood fireplace (Intertherm) down into the basement to use it for the wood furnace. I could place the furnace directly under the fireplace so it would be a nice straight shot. The chimney also already has very draw. Any input, good or bad, would be appreciated.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. cmonSTART

cmonSTART Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Antrim, NH
    Your Intertherm fireplace is a listed appliance, just like your furnace or washing machine. To modify or use it in a way it isn't designed for is usually not permissible by code. I've never considered doing what you suggested, but I can't think of a way to pull it off safely.
  3. 98dingo

98dingo New Member

Loc:
    Shawano, WI
    Agreed. If you want to install a wood furnace, have someone come give you a price to install its own Class A chimney.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.