extending the hearth....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
my distance to combustibles does not meet the factory spec for my enviro 1700 wood burning insert
i need to add 2" to make it within compliance. i have the tile/granite to do so, as there were spare ones in the basement from when it was installed when the home was built. what i need to do is bring out the floor section, so that entails removing a small segment of carpet, laying the tile/granite and concrete board to support it, and then re attaching the carpet.
is there anything special i need to do as this is for a hearth area? i plan on putting concrete board down so the tile will not crack, but other than that, i am just adding another row of tile to extend my hearth.
am i missing anything?
DSCN5353.jpg

I would roll the carpet back and cut after you install new tile. How was the old tile installed and what does the floor look like from below? Its not optimal to have the backer board seam match the tile seam because the grout will probably crack, but I know youe dilema that tearing up the whole hearth is probably not an option...

Franks said:
I always recommend sheet metal first, then the cement board, then the tile.

recommendation noted and will be done.
anyone have a DIY tutorial on this stuff?
otherwise i may just call in a favor of a buddy who has done work like this a few times before.
thanks

par0thead151 said:
Franks said:

otherwise i may just call in a favor of a buddy who has done work like this a few times before.
thanks

Buddy Favors! I'm sure there is a tutorial you can find with a little looking. In the past, I've bought 26ga sheet metal, screwed it to the floor with short flat head screws, put wonderboard on top of that, predrill some holes, more flat heat screws, a little long, maybe 1", then do tile as normal and throw a 1/4 round trim around the edge

par0thead151 said:
Franks said:

thanks

Maybe this will help some.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Hearth_Design/

Or this thread. . .

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/23897/

I will say that there was a step-by-step how to thread that I found shortly before I built my thread which was very, very useful . . . I'll search around and see if I can find it . . . I remember reading the thread and coming to the realization that even a novice like me could successfully build a hearth (or in your case add to the hearth!)

I did a search and couldn't find the thread on the step by step instructions . . . perhaps some of our more senior members here can remember who wrote the thread . . . I remember it was very detailed with each step written out so anybody could follow along and see what they needed to do and when. Of course, now I'm debating with myself whether or not it was a thread or a wiki-article . . . I don't think it had pictures, but it was written exceptionally well . . . I remember it had many useful tips (i.e. when grouting do not wait very long to remove the excess grout!) And now I must admit, it's starting to tick me off since I remember it being very, very useful . . . and I can't remember where I saw it . . . I have a feeling the OP would find the article/thread useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.