exterior loading interior wood box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sopher

Jul 13, 2007
hearth.com members:

Does anybody know anything about "exterior loading interior wood boxes". Where can I buy one or does anybody have any designs or plans that I can use. I would like to have a outside (on my porch) a steel lined box that I can load from the outside and some how push the box through my exterior wall and have access to the box from inside my house near my wood stove. I want to avoid carrying wood through the fronr door. I am in a major remodel mode in this area and now is the time to add this. Any help would be appreciated.

[email protected]

LopiRevere said:
hearth.com members:

Does anybody know anything about "exterior loading interior wood boxes". Where can I buy one or does anybody have any designs or plans that I can use. I would like to have a outside (on my porch) a steel lined box that I can load from the outside and some how push the box through my exterior wall and have access to the box from inside my house near my wood stove. I want to avoid carrying wood through the fronr door. I am in a major remodel mode in this area and now is the time to add this. Any help would be appreciated.

[email protected]

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have one, but others do, try using the search function, I'd probably search on "Wood Box" in any area - most will probably be in the "hearth room" area. "The Gear" tends to be more about chainsaws, splitters, and other stuff related to processing wood, while wood storage ends up with the stoves. Don't ask me to explain why, it just is that way.... :lol:

It is something you will need to mostly build yourself, and will depend on your level of creativity. The big thing to keep in mind is making sure that you have good insulation and sealing on the pass through as you don't want to be passing in cold air along with your wood. Also you may want to think about security on it, as you wouldn't want people coming in the wood door that you wouldn't like coming in the front door...

I don't have such a critter, but from the descriptions I've seen, many folks build a closet like structure with insulated walls, and a door on both the inside and outside, they then open the outside door to load, and the inside door to unload. Many build two compartments into the closet so they can "rotate" their stock easier.

Good luck and let us know how you make out...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.