Extra Special

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jetsam

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2015
Long Island, NY
youtu.be
So I see 10-20 "broken" chainsaws a week at work. I don't diagnose them, I don't fix them, I just see them. Roughly 50% are severely loose chains and roughly 50% are gummed up carbs.

Note that there's really not room in there for an "other" category, because there's generally not anything to go into it.

Well... today, I found an "other".

Enjoy.

Image49757983.jpg
Problem description: "Went on fire". Well, that's accurate.

Image604395580.jpg
Gee, let's see. Nearly zero wood chips..... and exactly zero oil.

Image378475573.jpg
Oh, look in the bottom of the oil tank. It's our friend Zero Oil. How'd he get in there?

Image798303598.jpg

Melted through into the fuel tank too. Not even a drop left in the primer bulb.

In other news, when you spray gas on a big strip of unlubricated metal that is grinding against itself at 12,000 RPM, that might not be the best idea in the world.

That person should not operate a chainsaw.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
That person should not operate a chainsaw.

He's done operating that chainsaw.

This being Long Island, I imagine he has screamed himself hoarse at the phone operators at several companies, filed a lawsuit, used his refund to buy a new non-defective chainsaw, and filled up both gas tanks by now. :)

Looks better than my Pro Mac 610 did after I stood behind a tree and watched it melt into a puddle. Plenty of oil and mix in that one. Fed the fire. Burning aluminum makes a really pretty blue flame.

At first I thought the guy simply forgot to add oil . . . now I see the thought is that he simply filled both the gas and oil tank with gasoline.

Wow.

As Dodgy said . . . this person probably should not operate a chainsaw.

Thanks for posting. I feel much better now. When I first started using a chainsaw, I took the clutch cover off with the chain brake engaged. Seems like a minor mistake compared to this.

I've already added oil to the gasoline, why would I add oil to the saw? ? ? :eek:

Reactions: gregbesia
Thats a special kind of stupid...

It took a long time to dawn on me what you were describing. Wow.

It's one thing to know nothing about chainsaws other than you need to cut something.

It's another to know nothing about chainsaws and apparently not even read the first couple pages of the manual.

LOL..gas in both tanks? Wish I could of been there!

Well...some Ford pickups have dual tanks, why not a chainsaw?

I don't think it was even run. If it was, with no oil, there should be some bluing on the chain. That is looking like it didn't even make contact with wood yet.

Maybe he got his cigarette too close when he was fueling up the oil tank?

I don't think it was even run. If it was, with no oil, there should be some bluing on the chain. That is looking like it didn't even make contact with wood yet.

Maybe he got his cigarette too close when he was fueling up the oil tank?

It made contact with wood, but not for very long! One spark was probably all it needed.

Image1276143817.jpg

I only have seen melt downs like that on Electric units