1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

extra time on my hands no need for a fire tonight or last night

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by elkimmeg, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Mid 60's yesterday upper 50's today two straight days with out a fire burning in either wood stove??.
    Withdrawal the ritual has been broken. Raked leaves today. I thought I got rid of them in the Fall?
    Somehow they seem to multiply, I wish my wood pile would

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah I know. 70's here today and the woodrack is empty so I started cutting and splitting for next year this morning.
  3. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Record high of 58 today, no need for a fire. Great day to be out in the woods and Pick up a load of firewood for next year. Winter storm watch for Sunday night and temps going below average next week. I should have just enough wood for the rest of the season.
  4. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    But we get to fire them up tonight Elk

Just started one with some dry pine, house dropped to 68 and the wife was "chilly", LOL!
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Last few nights have been around freezing. It's a big high pressure system that started out west and is moving eastward. I suspect you may be feeling it soon, so don't put the tarps on the woodpile quite yet.
  6. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    Warm here too (VA). Worked up quite a sweat whacking on a 20" piece of what I thought was sycamore. I literally hit it 50 times and still did not completely finish splitting it. Gave up. Wish I had a burn barrel so I could have torched the whole damn log.
  7. lime4x4

lime4x4 Member

Loc:
    Northeast Pa
    hit 70 here today and the coal stoker is still going yet....Just on a very very low setting..Need some heat at night when the temp drops..I'm shocked that it is able to run with the high outside temps,natural draft chimney
  8. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    It was chilly in Salt Lake and snowed on Thursday. I came home yesterday and it was probably around 50. I woke up this morning ot about 4" of snow. I hope it stays cold until the Home & Garden show next week, that should entice people to think about plopping down a few bucks on a heater rather than a hot tub.
  9. Sundeep Arole

Sundeep Arole New Member

Loc:
    Framingham, MA
    Warm here - no fire and I feel $$ going down the drain every time the boiler kicks on. Got to clean out the stove ashes yesterday. Get to do yard work today too.
    BTW oil man came to fill up tank two days back - 50 gallons for a total of around $125. Mostly hot water. Normal fillup without stove would have been 150 gallons easy. Felt good to see the bill this month.
  10. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    It's been warm here, though it's raining today. I keep a few chunks of wood going in the boiler even on warm days like this one. Keeps the dampness out of the house and gives us plenty of hot water all the time. Burning wood under these conditions underscores the advantage of nice dry wood. Toss it in and forgetaboutit!
  11. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Member

I haven't burned in over a week. Hit 84 degrees here today and was 59 degrees this morning when I got up at 6:00 this morning. Have gotten all the logs I could from the new subdivision up the road. Since starting a little over a week ago I've cut, split and stacked two cords for next year. Have two cords left over from this winter. I tried splitting an eighteen inch piece of what turned out to be sweet gum. Water just poured out as the splitter began and then the splitter just bogged down. When backing up the ram and hitting the side pieces that eject stuck pieces, the splitter just bogged down again. Had to get a sledge hammer and pound that thing from the wedge at the end of the ram. Just loaded those pieces up and took them to a dump pile to rot.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.