EZ Bricks in a Cat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hass

Minister of Fire
Mar 20, 2011
Alabama, NY
So I have a feeling I MAY end up short on wood this year. Finding true seasoned wood seems is a PITA. Next year I'm good on wood, but I've got to get through this year first. I've still got quite a bit, but worrying about not being able to heat my house is the last thing I want to have things come down to. I do have a buttload of pallets to cut up yet... But I want to be safe.

EZ Bricks are 195/ton.
http://chautauqua.craigslist.org/for/2755911663.html

"seasoned" firewood in my area is $350-450 a cord. The only truely seasoned wood comes from real firewood vendors, which they charge an arm and a leg for... Usually $125 for 1/3 of a cord. It's not really even all that great. I can get Ash for that price, but it's still 20% MC they claim.

Perhaps I'm better off going with compressed bricks if I run in to a shortage? I'm thinking a ton of EZ Bricks would probably be somewhere about the same as 1/3 cord real wood. Figure in the moisture weight of wood and probably a slight bit in the bricks... But my main concern is does anyone know how well these will burn in a cat stove? Will it burn just like regular wood? I know it's still wood... But I don't know if it smokes the same as regular wood.
Sorry if I'm not making any sense... I know cat stoves are a little different than tube style. I dropped the manufacturer an email as well...

I burn em in my BK, Im burning some eco's right now, just have to keep on eye on them because they get hot fast.

It's wood.
They should burn fine.
Learning how to stack them in for the best burns may take a few loads.
Let us know if you burn them & how to load for good results.
Careful with the pallets, contamination nails are not good for the combustor. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.