F3500 cruising on low? 350F stove top temp, no smoke out of stack?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ShaneMac

Sep 28, 2021
Ontario
Trying to learn the stove and seeing what would happen if I tried to shut it down all the way. Has been cruising around 350 stove top with catalyst listed in the mid way point. Had it up to 550F on startup. Is there a limit on how low I should try to run? Fan is being a bit temper mental. When I first tried it it would turn on fairly easily and then shut off and back on again. Now it does not want to seem to come on while the stove is running, only while the stove is cooling down. I'm getting I should look into replacing the snap disk.

IMG_6208.jpg

Looks like a nice low burn with the cat doing what it’s supposed to do. I’d keep an eye on it and see if it continues this through the burn without the cat stalling.

It looks like it's working well. A more important thing to watch will be the flue temperatures. If the flue gases drop below 250º there is a risk of creosote condensation in the stack. No smoke out of the chimney is a good sign that the cat is working well.

Before replacing the thermostatic snap switch, make sure the current one is making firm contact with the stove body. It may have loosened during the transport of the stove.

How is it heating relative to the replaced Napoleon?

It looks like it's working well. A more important thing to watch will be the flue temperatures. If the flue gases drop below 250º there is a risk of creosote condensation in the stack. No smoke out of the chimney is a good sign that the cat is working well.

Before replacing the thermostatic snap switch, make sure the current one is making firm contact with the stove body. It may have loosened during the transport of the stove.

How is it heating relative to the replaced Napoleon?

Its working quite well but also very different. The napolean ran pretty hot fully shut down where the cataltic is setup to allow less air and let the catalyst do the work. I have not tried a hot fire yet but easily getting 20 hours on low and slow. Now that is low heat spread over a long time which works well when its not too cold out but its fighting with heat pump which works well at this same range.

Handle is a pain on it. Its suppose to be removed and hung on a hook as well as the damper control gets nice and toasty and they recommend a glove. Fire box is great though taking a 18" N/S and 20" east west if I find a random long piece. Typically only load N/S though.

If I had to do it all over again with new stoves I'd prob get a PE as the over lap of heat pump and catalyst stove over lap so much. When I end up needing it I'll be running it pretty hot regardless.

You mean I should install this? I'm stuck debating where to drill the hole, front or back of flue.

IMG_6209.jpg

Reactions: Todd
Yep. I put the hole in the back of the stovepipe. It's much more discrete that way. You don't see it at all from the front of the stove.

IMG_4064.jpg

Installed the Auber installed today. While trying to get heat up for catalyst it was hovering around 380 but the catalyst meter slowly started to creep up but the chimney temp wouldn't bulge. Once I let the catalyst get a bit a bit over the enabled mark and closed the bypass it quickly went up to 600 and set off the default alarm of 480. I upped the alarm to 980 and watching the number climb up to 700 now at 50% open, going to drop it down to25% and see where it settles. What is a good cruising temp for the flue? Honestly now that I used it I think every stove should come with one.

I guess this proves the catalyst is still good.

Fan didn't click on yet. Will see if it will, There has been times where fan would be running at end of burn around 10 hours and not shutting off.

Need to add some sort of marking on the draft control to have any idea of what the setting is. Did similar to my weber kettle. Thoughts on best way to mark it?

Stove was holding around 700 and decided to close the draft to see what I get. Right now its 619 and holding. Its odd, its nice and hot but barely a stream of fire in the fire box.

Last edited:
I'm guessing door seal needs a tighten? Will try bill test tomorrow and see. If loose I'll pull a shim out of the door and try again.

Attachments

• IMG_6225.m4v
    2.8 MB
I think a good internal flue temp range is around 400-600.

Did bill test in that corner the air was coming in. Yup only place gasket is loose. Tried to remove one ship and still loose but almost impossible to close the door. The gasket is hard as a rock in that location.

Gasket is out, was crumbling in spots and a pain to remove. Hooked up wire wheel and working on cleaning out the old gasket cement.