F3CB door glass gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwells794

Jul 22, 2015
Virginia
I was cleaning up my hearth area last night - vacuuming, wiping down, etc. - one last time since I have retired the stove until next winter. When I removed the door glass to give it a good cleaning, the gasket behind it just.... fell off. No signs of glue or gasket cement ever being applied during the assembly process (the stove was bought brand new summer '15). Is this normal and the pressure of the glass is just supposed to keep it seated in place? I put it back like it was before I took it apart after I cleaned the glass and probably wont mess with it again until September, but I just thought I would ask you all for advice.

The door glass gasket often has an adhesive coating to help hold it in place while installing the glass, but it's not a permanent adhesive. Normally the glass is not removed unless broken.

ok, thanks. i just took it out to clean because i wanted to do a thorough job and the glass was sliding up and down in the 2 guides on each side. I dont know if the glass is etched or whats going on, but it looks clouded and i cant get it off. Its not soot, just looks like you breathed on it and it fogged up. anyway to get this back to normal? ... besides buying another glass lol?

With normal cleaning the glass should stay clean. Were any abrasive cleaners used to clean the glass at some point?

Hard to say. Was the stove run at unusually high temps some time?

Hard to say. Was the stove run at unusually high temps some time?

nope. averaged 450-550. once or twice I forgot about it and it crept up to 650 but then my auber instruments alarm sounded and i was able to damp it down and the temp dropped back down in no time. the only think i could think of would be when i would start a fire from cold, i'd use a stick of fatwood and before the fire really took off, i could see moisture on the walls of the inside of the firebox. once the fire heated up and the fatwood burned out, the moisture dried and everything went back to normal. could the haze just be from the burning resin of the fatwood?

EDIT: the 450-550 temps were taken from the stove top to the left and right of the top flue exit where the jotul manual recommends.I dont have a probe in the flue as its sitting on the hearth of a relatively small fireplace and once the rear exit tee makes the 90 degree turn upwards, its basically in the masonry so it would be kinda hard to monitor that.

Sounds like temp shouldn't be the issue then. We ran ours between 550 and 650F normally. I've never used fatwood, can't say if it would have a part in fogging the glass, but can't see how at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.