F500 Oslo damage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kmg556

Jun 15, 2018
nj
Hey gang first post here, love all the info provided over the years.

New to wood life, and chose the f500 because reviews on here. It's been great so far and I love it. Tonight I go to relight from cold and a piece of metal popped out, turns out it's the part of the piece that supports the baffle firebrick.

A, why is my firebrick cracked already at 25 fires max?
B, why did this piece break and pop out?

I have never seen over 650* and have been doing top down starts. Never used Ash pan door.

What do y'all think? Thanks I'm advance

Attachments

• F500 Oslo damage
    Snapchat-1693923141.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 261
  • F500 Oslo damage
    IMG_20181208_175504.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 254
It's hard to tell from that pic but I would call your dealer. If it is a problem it should be covered under warranty

Are you sure it is a piece of metal and not some stove cement that was loose and fell out?

As bholler said I can't see exactly what you are talking about in the pic's.

Are you sure it is a piece of metal and not some stove cement that was loose and fell out?

As bholler said I can't see exactly what you are talking about in the pic's.

In the second picture with the circle is the piece that fell out and that's what's left in the stove. I guess it could be cement, but why would my top baffle plate be directly connected to the cement?

I have the piece that came out and it's a cracker chunk of metal or fat weld

In the second picture with the circle is the piece that fell out and that's what's left in the stove. I guess it could be cement, but why would my top baffle plate be directly connected to the cement?

Can you take a pic of the price that came out?

It sounds like slag furnace cement. Most parts on that stove are bedded in cement, then bolted down tight, the excess gets pumped out and the excess falls away once its fired a few times. The baffle isn’t firebrick, rather it’s a manmade product called skamol. It looks like firebrick but performs much better.

If it's cement and not metal . . . it's pretty normal for Jotul to cement the baffle board to keep it from moving (and becoming damaged) while in transport. Typically after a few fires the cement breaks/falls out. Some folks reapply the cement . . . others don't. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference in the stove's performance.

Now if this is actually metal and not cement . . . I would recommend calling the dealer.

Reactions: Burner
I'm thinking it's just some excess cement that broke off after your first few fires. Take a magnet to the piece that broke off - that will tell you right away if it is just some cement and nothing to worry about or metal and something to be quite worried about!!

As others have said get ahold of the dealer.

Looks like it's just cement like you all agreed on.

But that top fire brick like piece is cracked near back left of picture. I assume as long as it doesn't get worse to just continue until next year's ckeanicl and uodatiup?

gesundheit! i'm guessing auto correct strikes again? I'd still get a hold of your dealer, have them look at it so if there is any warranty issue they can get the ball rolling

You definitely wanted it looked at I would gave the dealer look at it or at least inform them.