Fair price for a 2005 St Croix Prescot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cpetku

Dec 24, 2019
Clarkston MI
Starting to think about placing a pellet stove in my workshop. A 2005 Prescot EXL became available locally but the price seems high ($1900). Based upon reviews on this forum the price new was only around $2200 when this was built. There is also a U-Tube comparison of a new $2000 stove and a $1000 stove. The $2000 stove is a St Croix that looks like the Prescot, and the video is one year old. I know the value is what someone will pay and other posts here imply the price should be well above $800 but is $1900 really a fair price for a 15 year old stove that looks clean and has the original brick fireplates? I don't want to insult the seller who appears to have several stoves for sale throughout Michigan but claims not to be a dealer...

I wouldn't pay more then $ 1200.00 if it's in good shape

Yeah, I have seen some guy around here trying to get $3000 out of a PC45. Just trying to see if anybody will bite I guess... $1000-1200 is more like it

15 year old stove. i dont care who made it. it isnt worth that much. i buy and refurbish alot of stoves and i wouldn't pay more than 500 bucks for it

15 year old stove. i dont care who made it. it isnt worth that much. i buy and refurbish alot of stoves and i wouldn't pay more than 500 bucks for it
X2 No more than 500
After a refurb 1000 to 1200 may be around here

This idea of what a used stove is worth comes down to the name of the stove and reputation of that brand plus the rep of who sells. it. What does refurbish mean to you or the seller? if you buy a box store special for 999.00 and try to sell it for 799.00 used you may not sell it. if you buy a name brand such as a Harman they do hold their value . If you replace the motors, and wear parts you should get more as it is worth more. Buying used from a dealer or private is going to be a matter of who you trust. Beware of the guy who is selling it for someone else.

I went the referb way with my englander $950. And couldnt be more happy but i purchased from amfm who has a great reputation on here and for good reason.

How big is the workshop? I’m very happy with my castle serenity so far, and overall the reviews on them are positive. They’re $1000-1100 brand new with a warranty.

How big is the workshop? I’m very happy with my castle serenity so far, and overall the reviews on them are positive. They’re $1000-1100 brand new with a warranty.
The workshop is on a second floor of a garage/barn and roughly 1000 square feet (up). The downstairs can be heated with a portable torpedo when necessary, but there's an open stairway between the upstairs and downstairs. I've debated if a pellet stove makes sense based upon the difficulty getting it to the second floor. Also considered first floor install with ducting, but I think permanent installation without a walled in area would cause code issues as the first floor has several gas powered motor vehicles.

Last edited:
The workshop is on a second floor of a garage/barn and roughly 1000 square feet (up). The downstairs can be heated with a portable torpedo when necessary, but there's an open stairway between the upstairs and downstairs. I've debated if a pellet stove makes sense based upon the difficulty getting it to the second floor. Also considered first floor install with ducting, but I think permanent installation without a walled in area would cause code issues as the first floor has several gas powered motor vehicles.
To All,
Thanks for the guidance on this. It started me looking at the 49-TRCMP with the stirrer (AM/FM). I think this design is intended to extend time between clean-outs like the St Croix Versa Grate. It looks like there's still a lot to learn before pulling the trigger on any pellet burner, so I'll be reading on in the backgrounds and passing up on the 2005 Prescott that I came across.

You cant go wrong with a Harman if you can find one.