Fair price to stack cordwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2013
Potsdam, NY
As of Monday night I'm on doctor's orders to rest for the next several weeks. I have roughly 10 facecords that need to be stacked, so I plan on putting up a craigslist ad for someone to stack it for me. What's a fair price to pay per face cord? I'd figure $10 an hour or so, but I'd much rather pay for the job instead of the time, and I don't really remember how long it'd take me to stack a face cord.

Sorry to hear about the rest period. It's not what a self sufficient wood burner needs.

Around here that's 3 1/3 of a cord. That's allot of wood.

How about kids / grand kids / friends? I few beers, make a day of it.

I can't even get my kids to stack my wood the way I want it. Is there a cheap easy way to get your wood protected until you can stack it yourself?

Where I live currently, you can go to the garden nursery or the HD/Lowe's and find workers. You could also call the local High School Coach and find out if his team needs to raise some money and if so, you'd hire them to stack the wood. Is there a neighborhood boy who mows lawns -- maybe he'd like the job (or some of the job). What about a local Eagle Scout troop?

I would sure want to find someone experienced enough to stack it properly. No sense in having to restack when you're feeling better. Is this firewood you need this year? If not maybe you can stack it yourself when you're feeling better.

Get friends co workers to help. I wouldn't want strangers in my wood stacks. Wood might be a little short next time you do your cord calculations.

I felt guilty about asking my future in-laws to do my work for me, so my fiance baked some apple pies for them to take home. We didn't finish it entirely, but probably 3/4 of the pile is gone now, a huge help. Especially glad now that I made these wood racks earlier this year. Each holds two facecords, and the wide feet on the bottom means that even my in-law's less than ideal stacks aren't in any real danger of tipping over.

Wood Rack 3.JPG

Reactions: planner steve
Status
Not open for further replies.