Is our EPA short-sighted WRT appliance requirements?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Would you really pay more for a longer warranty appliance?

• Yes

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
Why not have it repaired under warranty and move it to the basement? Then you have an extra fridge to plug in when it’s needed.

I have a 1927 or 28 monitor top in my basement and a 50s Kelvinator that I plug in when we go apple picking or are prepping sides for Thanksgiving, etc.
It’s a kegerator/2nd fridge freezer. The connection from the Aluminum evaporators to the copper lines is the normal failure mode. Compressors last on average 13 years. This monster can hold 3-5 gallon kegs and a restaurant dough box while having space for lots more food leftovers and drinks plus a big freezer drawer. It’s not worth spend more than 500$ on. My first kegerator that we got from the side of the road probably that was at least 20 years old when I got it 20 years ago would probably still be working. This unit has 160 grams or 5.2 oz of 124a and a variable speed compressor. But the fridge hole is really tight. Scrapes on sides and only .5” to top. Ie won’t meet install guidelines for any new either so warranties may be voided.

this failure was not compressor related. This was a design choice failure. I could put some die in but didn’t buy any. I have leak detection bubbles. I have been looking for an excuse to get a set of manifold gauges and a vacuum pump. But don’t think this is it. I don’t recall like the idea of sawing a hole in a new fridge. Kiss that warranty goodbye. So it would probably mean swapping my 2009 kitchen aid main fridge out for a new one and sawing a hole

8D2C34F8-114C-45A1-97C1-5E5758C838AF.jpeg

...is this thread insinuating that more efficient appliances means they are less durable?
Not at all. When I mention the EPA in the thread title, it's not with reference to efficiency targets, but with reference to the amount of refrigerant that newer refrigerators carry. It is the requirements for reduction in total refrigerant that have directly lead to the short lives of modern refrigerators. I have been told this by more than one commercial/industrial HVAC technician, as well as a consumer refrigerator repair technician.

I'm 100% sure the issue is planned obsolescence, not increases in efficiency.
No, it's not planned obsolescence, that is a myth. NO manufacturer wants planned obsolescence, since it is very well known that a premature failure of their brand will put you off ever buying their brand again. It is a combination of price wars, trying to keep costs as low as absolutely possible, and (in the case of refrigerators) mandates on the amount of refrigerant used in the system.

Why not have it repaired under warranty and move it to the basement?
I actually did this two refrigerators ago, ca.2013 or 2015. It was a nearly new unit in our kitchen with a compressor failure, and the manufacturer sent someone out to install a new compressor. Unfortunately, it took something like two weeks for them to get the parts and do the job, so I had already installed a new refrigerator by then. I sold the old one on Craigslist, but honestly, it just wasn't worth the hassle.

I don't want or need another refrigerator taking up space in our basement, just to plug in for occasions when our almost-new kitchen refrigerator dies prematurely. We already have six refrigerators in this house, but none are located close enough to the kitchen (large house) or empty enough to really be useful or practical to use for a week or two while waiting on a repair.

I have a 1927 or 28 monitor top in my basement and a 50s Kelvinator that I plug in when we go apple picking or are prepping sides for Thanksgiving, etc.
That's really cool. My mom had a 1953 GE refrigerator in the garage of her last house, and now our early-1980's refrigerator in the garage of her current house. Both will easily outlast my next eight or ten kitchen refrigerators, hence the thread title! ;lol

Reactions: EbS-P
The refrigerant in hvac system has oil in it to lube the compressor so with less in it the more likely they are to fail. Not sure if refrigerators are the same, butI would assume they are.

Reactions: Ashful
Its life has been extended by at least 8 hours;) How many more does it have is the 150$ question (service fee plus parts and refrigerant). I may have overcharged it a bit. But not more than 20%. I didn’t weight the can full. So it’s really just a guess.

FF356F48-ED38-4A8C-8403-62452822AB0B.jpeg

in my previous home, had a fridge, do not remember brand name that was from my folks. I grew up with that unit. I left it at that home when I moved that was in 2017. I did find a birthday pic of my sister, fridge in background the date on pic was 1952. yes the unit was still working it was set into part of the wall in the basement making up a bar area of a rec room down there. 65 years old. never replaced compressor, bunch of door gaskets over the years.

Reactions: Ashful
65 years old. never replaced compressor, bunch of door gaskets over the years.
Exactly. And these can be found all over the place. They were replaced because of rust, or being outdated, etc. But their mean time to failure must've been something like 25x our modern tech.

Its life has been extended by at least 8 hours;) How many more does it have is the 150$ question (service fee plus parts and refrigerant). I may have overcharged it a bit. But not more than 20%. I didn’t weight the can full. So it’s really just a guess.

View attachment 315733
Running 10 days now. If a new fridge costs at least $1500 and last 10 years? I need it run a year for my investment to break even. I’m not betting anymore money on that.

Running 10 days now. If a new fridge costs at least $1500 and last 10 years? I need it run a year for my investment to break even. I’m not betting anymore money on that.
And it’s dead. It’s not a slow refrigerant leak. Time to send to the curb.

• Sad
Reactions: woodgeek and Ashful
Couple pounds of tannerite and an empty field would make me feel better.
Well that sucks. It’s too bad there’s nothing that can be done with a dead fridge.

Reactions: EbS-P