Veganism, Human Health and Conspiracies.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My specific question was "What sort of proportions should someone seek when mixing a grass and a legume to make a complete dietary protein?" She literally rolled her eyes at me. She let me know 'some people' do try to mix peanut butter with whole wheat bread to get to a complete protein, and they should be mixed in approximately equal parts (we didn't discuss weight versus volume), but really it is perfectly fine to have peperoni pizza with a salad to get both a complete protein and some vegetables. The song 'Low Budget' by the Kinks started playing in my brain during this interaction, and I may have missed some nuance in the moment while I was transported back to 1979.

Evidently rice and beans isn't a thing anymore. I was just speechless, and as of that moment I am fine with the USDA continuing to promote USA agriculture, but I personally think nutritional guidance should be handed over to NIH yesterday. I cannot think of a good reason to consider any amount of peperoni "nutritionally fine." My take is she (the new RD) is a product of her education and is very likely to adjust her point of view with years and decades of clinical experience. I am talking about a bright young lady with good observational skills.

You and I have been walking a similar path!

In my (ongoing) deep dive on nutrition, I have developed a 'taxonomy' of veganism. More or less, all vegans under 30 are 'ethical vegans', doing so for the animals. Like other 30 year olds, they figure they are immortal, and are not worried about health at all, and are generally 'junk food vegans' from a dietary point of view. Vegans over 50 are generally 'health vegans', eating that way for their health. The older one are much less numerous, and less vocal on social, than the younger sort. Restaurants all cater to the younger ones, and load most of their vegan foods with saturated fat and salt, like any restaurant does.

There are MANY more vegan sub-types: raw food vegans, fruit only vegans, WFPB no-oil vegans, etc.

I am drifting towards a small community I call 'high protein vegans'. And thus, your question.

The scientific consensus has evolved since we were in school @Poindexter. I was taught (in the 1980s) that we need to worry a LOT about getting enough protein, and that we needed to get COMPLETE protein, and needed to do so in every single meal. Like, I can't have rice for breakfast and beans for supper, bc I will die of some amino deficiency.

In the 2020s, most WFPB health-type vegans will say the opposite... don't worry about it! Any varied (**whole** cereals and legumes) plant based diet that is calorically sufficient will ALSO be protein sufficient, automagically. They argue that meat eaters (or 'omnis') have all fetishized protein, having been brainwashed by the 'Big Meat' for generations.

What about all the 'puny vegans' and 'ex vegans' out there that many of us have encountered? That went vegan, looked like carp 6 mos later, and eventually quit. The 'popular consensus' is that they don't/didn't get enough protein. The WFPB guys say 'well, they were probably just eating vegan junk, or fruit only, or raw vegan diets, none of which are protein sufficient.'

To me, this is THE major question/qualm that most omni's have about 'going plant based'... will I get enough protein??

And I think that the WFPB gurus have over-compensated. They are correct that a perfect whole cereal and legume diet, consistently applied, is probably protein sufficient for folks with low to average protein needs. But if you need more protein than average, due to your genetics, being under 25 or over 50, being athletic, being pregnant or lactating, etc. OR you are imperfect, not planning every vegan meal super carefully, then you are probably scraping by on protein or insufficient, and would feel much better and be much healthier if you got some more!

The latest science says that we DO need more protein when we are growing or athletic (for muscle gains) or when we are older (and have progressively poorer protein absorption and utilization). Same for pregnant and lactating folks, duh. Also, we DO need to get all 9 essential amino acids. Our bodies don't store amino acids in significant amounts (unlike carbs and fats), it burns up the excess as calories. So you should make sure to get amino acid balance every day, or if you have very high protein demands (like being a body builder) spread out over the day.

Of plant sources, soy and pea protein are both deemed 'complete' by the WHO. I suspect all legumes are close too. They are enough by themselves. Whole cereals are NOT complete, but are complementary to soy and pea, so adding in some whole grains is good... but the legumes are doing the heavy lifting.

So, make sure you get enough legumes (or soy/pea based mock meats) every day. Your whole cereals in addition will help, but only help. A whole cereal based vegan diet or worse a refined cereal based vegan diet is a recipe for protein insufficiency.

FYI, the aminos that legumes have and whole grains do not are leucine and similar. And those are the anabolic (muscle growing) aminos. So a legume insufficient vegan diet WILL be catabolic and make you puny and skinny. The aminos that whole cereals have that legumes lack are not anabolic, and probably less of a visible health problem.

In my case, after 4 mos vegan/WFPB, I did get a little skinnier (not good) and started to feel kinda 'blah'.

So I upped my protein.... I switched the milk for my cereal from oat to unsweetened soy (9g protein /cup), and added a serving of (pea-based) vegan protein powder (15 g), mixed in soy milk, to my morning routine. This added about +30g complete protein to my day, in a very absorbable form, in the morning (which spreads out my protein, since I have legumes and mock meats in my other meals), while only being about +150 kcals.

I felt MUCH better in a few days, and since. And I have been seeing more positive results from resistance training (more anabolic), and gained a few good pounds back in the last month.

High protein vegan is where its at. For me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prometeo
nice diet plan @woodgeek I would alternate almonds, nuts, with protein powder and 1 day week, why not, lamb, beef, turkey, egg, tuna, salmon, which are the best dietary sources of protein

nice diet plan @woodgeek I would alternate almonds, nuts, with protein powder and 1 day week, why not, lamb, beef, turkey, egg, tuna, salmon, which are the best dietary sources of protein
I eat plenty of nuts (mostly walnuts and cashews) as snacks and mixed in with dishes. The protein powder is useful bc it comes with little else in the way of associated fats or sugars (and thus calories). Cooked legume products work similarly (high protein/calorie ratio) and I make use of that at midday and dinner meals. I make the standard chick-pea 'vegan egg salad' sandwich for a quick yummy lunch, for instance. As well as store-bought hummus that is not loaded with fat.

1-day per week animal protein wouldn't kill me (and would be similarly healthy since it would then be a Med diet), but I am finding the vegan diet thing a useful way to manage slippery slopes. :)

I'll get some ideas from you! sometimes we are so focused on what is bad that we forget what is necessary, surely you will know, I want to report lupins, an excellent protein legume that can be eaten as dried fruit👍

Reactions: woodgeek
A quick update to an older thread.

Finally got off my butt for a well-visit at the doctor, and had a blood panel, after 14+ mos on a vegan diet.

Total cholesterol: 176
Triglycerides: 92
HDL Cholesterol: 65
LDL Cholesterol: 93
(Report says LDL < 100 mg/dl is 'Optimal' for cardiovascular risk.)
HbA1C: 5.5

I'm 55 yo, no meds.

The only things I watch on my vegan diet are saturated fat, which I keep to less than 20 g/day, and protein, which I have 15 g of pea protein in a cup of unsweetened soy milk every morning. Sometimes I add a scoop of cocoa powder to that, sometimes not.

I cook with plenty of vegan butter and canola and olive oil. Lots of savory saucy and soupy things with lots of beans and lentils. I have plenty of mock meat sausages (field roast brand is v good) added as a meaty ingredient to these. These are mostly wheat protein (gluten) based, similar to seitan in terms of macros, but nicely flavored and a familiar format. I eat Dave's KIller Bread instead of white bread for sandwiches. I have a banana for a snack in the afternoon at work. I eat a tub of baby spinach every week, with vegan ranch dressing. And I eat a large helping of steamed or roasted veg with every dinner.

Might have an impossible burger, or make impossible meatballs at home if I have a yen. When I go out, I get food like vegan pizza, no big deal.

I eat a small serving of (non-Dairy) Ben and Jerry's many nights after dinner. I bake a lot of vegan yummy stuff with my oldest, mostly from noracooks.

I do not feel restricted at all. My overall diet and cuisine feels v similar to before.

My weight is stable about 15 lbs below where it was 18 mos ago, at a BMI of 25. My blood pressure has also dropped by about 15/10, bringing me to the normal range. My work colleagues ask me 'what I'm doing', and I feel like the guy in those old 'male enhancement' ads. ;lol

I am a lot less hungry between meals than I used to be, and look forward to my meals with excitement. 😋

Last edited:
Good for you, I can't maintain a diet like this, my mood would plummet, take a look at bovis value foods, you might be interested.

Well done! Do you drink coffee regularly, or at all? If so, how is it made (espresso, drip, Bodum, etc.)

Well done! Do you drink coffee regularly, or at all? If so, how is it made (espresso, drip, Bodum, etc.)
I think I am a slow caffeine metabolizer... so I limit myself to 1 half-caf most days. And drink a lot of decaf all day (which might add up to a a fraction of a cup of caf). Its all K-cup (home) or nespresso (work). The K-cups have a filter paper, the nespressos don't.

A quick update to an older thread.

Finally got off my butt for a well-visit at the doctor, and had a blood panel, after 14+ mos on a vegan diet.

Total cholesterol: 176
Triglycerides: 92
HDL Cholesterol: 65
LDL Cholesterol: 93
(Report says LDL < 100 mg/dl is 'Optimal' for cardiovascular risk.)
HbA1C: 5.5

I'm 55 yo, no meds.

The only things I watch on my vegan diet are saturated fat, which I keep to less than 20 g/day, and protein, which I have 15 g of pea protein in a cup of unsweetened soy milk every morning. Sometimes I add a scoop of cocoa powder to that, sometimes not.

I cook with plenty of vegan butter and canola and olive oil. Lots of savory saucy and soupy things with lots of beans and lentils. I have plenty of mock meat sausages (field roast brand is v good) added as a meaty ingredient to these. These are mostly wheat protein (gluten) based, similar to seitan in terms of macros, but nicely flavored and a familiar format. I eat Dave's KIller Bread instead of white bread for sandwiches. I have a banana for a snack in the afternoon at work. I eat a tub of baby spinach every week, with vegan ranch dressing. And I eat a large helping of steamed or roasted veg with every dinner.

Might have an impossible burger, or make impossible meatballs at home if I have a yen. When I go out, I get food like vegan pizza, no big deal.

I eat a small serving of (non-Dairy) Ben and Jerry's many nights after dinner. I bake a lot of vegan yummy stuff with my oldest, mostly from noracooks.

I do not feel restricted at all. My overall diet and cuisine feels v similar to before.

My weight is stable about 15 lbs below where it was 18 mos ago, at a BMI of 25. My blood pressure has also dropped by about 15/10, bringing me to the normal range. My work colleagues ask me 'what I'm doing', and I feel like the guy in those old 'male enhancement' ads. ;lol

I am a lot less hungry between meals than I used to be, and look forward to my meals with excitement. 😋
My diet changed quite a bit after the start of the pandemic. I never ate a lot of meat, but it's dropped to an ounce or 2 two or three times a week, usually as a flavoring in a soup. 6 oz of chicken white meat is enough for 2 weeks. Lots (lots!) more bean-based dishes. I cut out most carbs. I'm allergic to soy. Been using olive and grape oil instead of butter for decades. Mostly drink unflavored still or sparkling water, with a cup of tea weekday mornings. No sugary drinks or artificial sweeteners since I was a kid. I find I need leafy greens at least every other day, and generally have them every day.

Lost about 15% over the first year, but then hit a plateau. Tried various other changes, but can't get past it. I can cut calories without missing them, but my metabolism slows down in response, making me lethargic. Bicycling more miles per week and lifting more weights feels good, but doesn't help with weight loss.

The one thing I miss is baking my own whole grain breads. Otherwise my post-pandemic diet is quite a bit tastier than my pre-pandemic diet.

Reactions: woodgeek
Lat night my wife and I enjoyed a delicious 1-1/2 inch thick top sirloin, grilled outdoors. It was accomapied by baked potatoes slathered in butter and cheddar cheese.

BTW; that meal was converted into very tasty food by contented cows eating nasty plants.

Reactions: woodgeek and Duds13
Why do all vegans have to announce that everything they eat is vegan or everything they brought to a family dinner is made with vegan ingredients? Or is it just my two vegan sisters who do that?

Why do all vegans have to announce that everything they eat is vegan or everything they brought to a family dinner is made with vegan ingredients? Or is it just my two vegan sisters who do that?
Why do the friends and relatives of vegans try to give them non-vegan food all the time... "Wait, tuna isn't vegan?" "Um, cheese isn't vegan?"

I assure you, I live solely on (non-vegan) iceberg lettuce and celery ;lol

Reactions: stoveliker
Why do the friends and relatives of vegans try to give them non-vegan food all the time... "Wait, tuna isn't vegan?" "Um, cheese isn't vegan?"

I assure you, I live solely on (non-vegan) iceberg lettuce and celery ;lol
We've actually given up trying to cater to their vegan ways because everything we tried to make for them had some ingredient in it that they wouldn't eat even though the label on the product said vegan, so eff em. You wanna be that way fend for yourself!

We've actually given up trying to cater to their vegan ways because everything we tried to make for them had some ingredient in it that they wouldn't eat even though the label on the product said vegan, so eff em. You wanna be that way fend for yourself!

Yeah. With me... if the label says vegan that is good enough for me. I am on some hard-core vegan fora which chew me out for not being 'really' vegan. They exist.

I get that some people feel bad for the animals, but trying to eliminate >99.99% of animal products from your life becomes tiresome. I note that many plants (and nearly all organically labelled plants) are grown with animal manure. That the farmer has to either keep animals to obtain, or buy from someone as an animal product. In other words, most vegan food products support animal agriculture through the purchase of manure. There are no absolutes, and I think people who think there are are silly.

Reactions: stoveliker
i just don't like veggies :)
I don't like fruit. But I choke down some bananas.

How about beans? You can live well on grains and beans.

hate fish.
OK. two things...
(1) when I changed by diet, my tastebuds changed. I used to hate berries, and can now eat them.
(2) a lot of veggies taste better than when I was a kid (selective breeding to remove bitterness) and are much better when roasted with a yummy sauce than boiled to oblivion and served plain (as my Mom would).