Yeah, a vegan diet is much better for the planet...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't. Yeah, there are 'paradigm shifts' and revolutions in science. We learn about them in school. As I said that is how science is 'self-correcting'.

But it seems you are implying
(1) that the fact that paradigm shifts occur means we shouldn't put any stock in the science we have, bc it could all get thrown out tomorrow. OR
(2) that every rando that writes a book about a new diet and says 'this is a new paradigm' should be believed.

In reality, paradigms gets shifted VERY rarely. And they are usually actual incremental improvements... like Newtons' theory (gravity) of planetary orbits getting replaced with Einstein's theory (geodesics on curved space time), and the new model makes extremely similar predictions to the old one.

Kinda like the hypothesis cholesterol causes heart attacks... being replaced with a hypothesis that LDL cholesterol causes heart attacks... being replaced with 'the LDL particles tagged with an ApoB protein' cause heart attacks. All different paradigms, but each just adding detail to the previous ones. And each step occurs after dozens of peer reviewed papers over a decade of work, replicated by many labs around the world using the best scientific methods.

Versus some rando writes a book that says 'cholesterol doesn't cause heart disease' and 'its my new paradigm!' and going on Joe Rogan. And folks say 'hey, paradigm shifts happen in science, so this seems plausible'

What is your point exactly?
My point is . . . didn't you say were done just a few posts ago?

I can't explain my point any differently than I have. I'm sorry you can't grasp it.

It's ok to disagree and not feel compelled to pen an essay.

My point is . . . didn't you say were done just a few posts ago?

I can't explain my point any differently than I have. I'm sorry you can't grasp it.

It's ok to disagree and not feel compelled to pen an essay.

Okay, so its clear we have different ideas about how science works, and what it can be used for in society. I thought you might be interested in finding some common ground on that, but I guess I was wrong on that point as well.

Okay, so its clear we have different ideas about how science works, and what it can be used for in society. I thought you might be interested in finding some common ground on that, but I guess I was wrong on that point as well.
What a redirection!

YOU were the one that said if we disagree we're done. For Pete's sake, reread your essays (someone has to).

Status
Not open for further replies.