Veganism, Human Health and Conspiracies.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What sauces do you use. Ingredient-wise. Premade contains a lot of stuff that's less healthy (sugar, salt, preservation agents etc.).
And self-made sauces require quite some time.

What sauces do you use. Ingredient-wise. Premade contains a lot of stuff that's less healthy (sugar, salt, preservation agents etc.).
And self-made sauces require quite some time.
I have a small palette of stuff, some quick and some slow.

Lazy faves:
-'Annies vegan mac' boxed mac n cheese. add 0.5-1 tbl of nooch to sauce, 1 tbl vegan butter and 2 'field roast' smoked vegan hot dogs, chopped. Makes 2 servings.
-mock egg salad: mashed chickpeas with vegan mayo and dijon mustard with onion/garlic powder. Secret ingredient: Kala Namak salt. On Toast.
E.g. https://www.kathysvegankitchen.com/chickpea-egg-salad/

Quick:
-white bean soup with garlic and olive oil (ready in 10 mins) with crusty bread.
-tomato onion (vegan) butter sauce (takes about 30 mins to cook, but only 3 to put together) on pasta.
(both from Marcela Hazan)

Intermediate:
-impossible meatballs (usual meatball recipe + zest of one lemon, flax egg instead of egg, cook in sauce) in jar tomato and basil sauce (I like Rao's), on spaghetti. w/ vegan parm.
(mod from my MIL)
-wild rice soup with great northern beans and vegan sausage (about 15 mins to assemble, an hour to cook), with crusty bread.
(mod from Isa Moscowitz, I use browned sausage medallions instead of seitan, I up the herbs by 50%)

Involved:
-veggie tikka masala with roasted cauliflower and smoked tofu, on white or brown rice or quinoa.
(mod from Sweet Potato Soul, drop sweet potato and tempeh, add asparagus and smoked tofu (resembles ham) I up the spices 50%)
-12 ingredient lentil bolognese on spaghetti
(mod from rainbowplantlife. I use green or black lentils, cook 2x longer. I also add minced carrot and (frozen) roasted mushrooms.

The meatballs and bolognese blow (non-vegan) people away. The involved things I batch cook and get 4-5 meals out of. They are better as leftovers anyway. 😋

Reactions: stoveliker
Fascinating thread...ran across it by accident via "summary of what you missed" email.

We shifted to a Mediterranean style diet a year ago. I cut out almost all meat, except for lamb chops once every couple of months (otherwise the dog would revolt). I eat fish as often as I can, mostly wild salmon.

My understanding is that inflammation is a cause of much disease, and both ultraprocessed food, and meat are sources of inflammation.

Also, as others have commented, exercise and social connection are critical to healthful longevity.

Why do all vegans have to announce that everything they eat is vegan or everything they brought to a family dinner is made with vegan ingredients? Or is it just my two vegan sisters who do that?
It because Vegans view themselves as superior beings that have been bestowed with unfathomable secrets of the cosmos - secrets that cannot be understood by mere mortals, and as such, it is their personal mission to constantly announce and promulgate their own virtue, and to denigrate those not so blessed.

It because Vegans view themselves as superior beings that have been bestowed with unfathomable secrets of the cosmos - secrets that cannot be understood by mere mortals, and as such, it is their personal mission to constantly announce and promulgate their own virtue, and to denigrate those not so blessed.
I'm just trying to be healthier and live longer. And 'eating plant based' seems to agree with my system. YMMV.

Oh, and reduce my eco footprint at the same time. Any benefits to animal welfare are a bonus.

Last edited:
if we didn't eat them they wouldn't exist.DON'T CUT THE CHRISTMAS TREE'S THAT WOULDN'T BE GROWN OTHERWISE ;lol ;lol ;lol ;lol ;lol ;lol ;lol hopefully we pull our heads out of our butts soon.if it works for you geek go for it

Reactions: woodgeek