Fairly new to this...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

purplereign

Hearth Supporter
Dec 21, 2009
NW Wis
I have a Hudson River Westpoint stove that has a slotted bottom on the burnpot. I seem to have an issue with a buildup of material in the burnpot that is too heavy to go into the ashpan and builds up in the burnpot and restricts airflow. Have been using the same brand of pellets from the same batch, so I don't think they are the issue The buildup can get as much as an inch or so thick after a bag of pellets, but doesn't happen all the time. Any ideas?

1st of all, welcome to the forum....lot's of nice and helpful people on here.

Now, for the stove. An INCH of "build-up"?? WOW How long do you have to burn before getting a build-up like that?

Is this ash, or clinker build-up? How long have you had the stove? Has the build-up always happened, or is this just recently? What brand pellet are you burning, and have you ever burned any other brand?

Hello

I just picked up this stove.The original burn pot had a criss cross pattern so the slotted burn pot is better.

Now From what I understand, the bottom of the burn pot is very close to the bottom of the ash pan. The ash pan is small compared to the redesigned HR Kinderhook that now takes it's place. So the buildup of ashes in the pan and burn pot can clog and stop the intake air coming into the stove and bottom of the burn pot after 3-4 days of burning.

See pics here and more info here
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/hudson-river-westpoint-burn-pot-issues.87953/

Status
Not open for further replies.