Fake Fisher on CL?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Todd67

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2012
Northern NY
Looks like someone put Fisher Grandpa Bear doors on a Timberline (?) stove, for sale in Ohio.

Funny how Fisher doors fit so many different "brands" of stoves:rolleyes:

00N0N_6db9dtVM1RU_600x450.jpg

00b0b_juVr1wbADNK_600x450.jpg

Maybe someone shortened a Grandma, and re-welded the front back on. (Eliminating the lower height front section?) I dunno...Interesting, though.

Reactions: Todd67
It's hard to tell. But here is a Timberline copy of a Fisher Papa Bear with a similar top profile, also on CL...

00j0j_agKf28ETQPo_600x450.jpg

Maybe someone shortened a Grandma, and re-welded the front back on. (Eliminating the lower height front section?) I dunno...Interesting, though.

I think you mean shortened a Grandpa. Since Grandpa doors which they are, will not fit across a Grandma box. The top in the first picture is not a Fisher top cut off, it is deeper than the raised portion. The stove would not be deep enough for much wood at all doing that. The double door stoves are very shallow as it is. Anyone that has fired steam boilers knows the huge difference between a coal boiler shaped square like a double door stove compared to a long, deep, narrow firebox for wood. Like a single door stove, logs simply fit the size and shape of the firebox.

The strange thing is there is NO angle iron on the corners. I've never seen a Timberline without angle iron corners. Not saying there was none, I've just never seen one. Even their inserts had angle iron. Notice the legs are angled slightly and don't appear to be the minimum 6 inches in height, hence the floor shield in the bottom picture. Certainly not a Fisher.

Here is a Grandma size Timberline;
Timberline front.jpg

Cal Cotton obviously had the idea of making the top larger for cooking, but had to have the step to raise the top to get the outlet higher than the top of door opening. (which was the reason for the step top on all freestanding Fishers)

Timberline single door corner detail;
Timberline single door 2.jpg

Timberline single door 3.jpg

Reactions: Todd67
The first two pics are the only pics the seller posted in his ad, so it leaves a lot of guessing as to what it is.

CL allows the use of up to 24 pictures for the seller to post, at no cost. So why do do many sellers post just one or two pictures? Post enough pictures to show as many angles and features as possible.