fall pics from chimney rock park

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GVA

Minister of Fire
Went for a hike last weekend in the blue ridge mountains with the wife...

They have their own man of the mountain. here in the bible belt
The blue ridge mountains......Now I know why they are called that...
The valley below and the town of Bat Cave, NC
Chimney rock with the flag

Attachments

• DSC00879.jpg
    DSC00879.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 593
  • DSC00901.jpg
    DSC00901.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 595
  • DSC00895.jpg
    DSC00895.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 604
  • DSC00918chimney rock.jpg
    DSC00918chimney rock.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 632
Nice pics - thanks.
Love that tunnel up to the chimney rock. A beautiful thing to see - miles of undeveloped land.
The bible belt is a fine idea - keeps the spiritual pants up!
Are you burning down there in NC?
"Fountain of useless knowledge" - very interesting. It's my best friend's nick-name for me.
I'm his "phone-a-friend" for the weird questions.
:)

I didn't see the tunnel with the elevator. I went around the moonshiners cave side and hiked up It was quite an awsome experience.
It kinda remindes me of the hikes up tuckermans ravine in the spring (minus the skis hitting me in the back of the head).
Another great scene was a house across the valley sitting on the side of the mountain (I'll post later) must have great views but must be a he!! of a commute in the winter... The drive around lake lure was bad enough LOL
No I'm not burning anymore, down here NG is too cheap to use anything else. Hence why I've kinda retired from this site (spend most time on a dodge forum now).
I had a teacher in High school that used to say he was a fountain of useless knowledge just gushing with info that no one really cares about... And I kinda adopted that thought.
I'll go back to chimney rock in the spring and check out the falls.

Here's a pic of my summer home...
Just kidding it's the Biltmore in Ashville

Attachments

• IMG_2179 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2179 (Small).jpg
    33 KB · Views: 454
Here's the house in the mountain side
Imagine the view this guy has.......
EDIT
house is top of the center mountain

Attachments

• DSC00898chimney rock small.jpg
    DSC00898chimney rock small.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 542
great shots GVA!!! the parkway is one of my favorite haunts, about a 20 minute drive from the house here in virginia see map look for rt 130 http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/map2.htm

wife and i atop sharp top mountain in bedford county va
045-1.jpg

and a look down on the "peaks of otter lodge" at the foot of sharp top
042-1.jpg

a picnic with a million dollar view! i think its called 5 oclock rock, the settlers in the area used to mark time by the sun casting a shadow on this rock.
148-1.jpg

yeah , im a parkway junkie, i urge anyone who may be travelling down or up and will be passing through this area , if you have some spare time , take a drive on the most scenic byway on the east coast, but be warned , if you drive it once you will find yourself making time to do it again and again. look it up at www.blueridgeparkway.org

Nice pic's mike, thanks for sharing
I love the way the mountains roll down here, very different from the Appalachians on the northern (New England) side of the range

The "original" old man in the mountain, is no more. His "nose" finally fell off. It had been supported and cabled for years, but it finally gave in to Mother Nature. It is, after all, in one of the worst weather areas in the Northeast, Franconia Notch, NH. It was OK to see, but there are many, many more breathtaking sights in that area, in my opinion. Sleep tight, my friends in the Blue Ridge Mountains, you now have the only "Old Man in the Mountain" in the Northeast. By the way, I love the Blue Ridge Mountains and would seriously love to live there. Cheers.

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
The "original" old man in the mountain, is no more. His "nose" finally fell off. It had been supported and cabled for years, but it finally gave in to Mother Nature. It is, after all, in one of the worst weather areas in the Northeast, Franconia Notch, NH. It was OK to see, but there are many, many more breathtaking sights in that area, in my opinion. Sleep tight, my friends in the Blue Ridge Mountains, you now have the only "Old Man in the Mountain" in the Northeast. By the way, I love the Blue Ridge Mountains and would seriously love to live there. Cheers.

I think it was his chin that fell off?

Status
Not open for further replies.