Fallen Dead Black Locust Seasoning Time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chemie

Feeling the Heat
Aug 11, 2018
New York City
Last week, I scored Black Locust from fallen off trees from previous storms in nearby forest. Several people here identified it as black locust. I live in New York City and have very limited backyard space so I can only store what I can burn in the current year. When I cut and split the wood, moisture content was ranging between 18 to 27 % mostly below 24%. I stored them in single row Landmann brand rack and top covered them with a tarp. If it doesn’t rain for two days , I remove the tarp to let them get any sunlight they can. My question is that how fast does dead black locust season with mentioned MC percentage ? Do you think I would be able to burn the ones above % 20 MC this year around February/March?
97c26eb93c925da22a1bd7aa0b563344.jpgd4b21f0d8d1ab15f83699c94fe1a63d5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I will take a shot at it.

Do you think I would be able to burn the ones above % 20 MC this year around February/March? Yes

Air flow / Split it smaller / bring it inside a while before burning

Reactions: SeanBB
Chemie,

Are you burning in a catalytic stove ? I ask because they are very sensitive to moisture as you may already know.

As for how small the size of a fist should do.

One observation - relax and enjoy the heat, you seem to be one very eager Black-locust burner or someone with a lot of coffee in them. This reminds me of myself when I first started burning & my first black locust find. Enjoy the ride.

SAM_4601.JPG

Chemie,

Are you burning in a catalytic stove ? I ask because they are very sensitive to moisture as you may already know.

One observation - relax and enjoy the heat, you seem to be one very eager Black-locust burner or someone with a lot of coffee in them. This reminds me of myself when I first started burning & my first black locust find. Enjoy the ride.

View attachment 233155

I have a BK Ashford 25 insert. So , yes.
It is my first year with the insert and wood burning so excuse my overreaction for finding and desiring to burn black locust this year!
In short, total newbie in every aspect :)

total newbie in every aspect

Welcome to the club. We were all newbies at one time.

One more tip with black locust -- I advise not starting a new fire with it. I do advise loading on a good hot bed of coals. It's not the best starter kindling. Safe it for the real cold days in Jan/Feb.

Reactions: chemie
Chemie,

View attachment 233155

My "sensitive" catalytic BK Princess is burning 36% MC deadfall oak right now. The first year I had that stove, everything I burned came straight out of the woods and into the stove. It's about as sensitive to moisture as an outdoor bonfire.

That said, I wouldn't burn wet locust. Oak is real common here, but I hoard the locust. :)

How much do you have? I remember my first BL score, I was super anxious to try it out and burned it when it around 24%, didn't want to wait until the next burning season. Now when I get some I wait but I understand wanting to try it out.

Don't waste it. Expect to use one piece (mixed in) for over nights on really cold nights. Do all you can to get the MC down below 25%,
Don't just blow it all in one season especially if its not truly seasoned.

How much do you have? I remember my first BL score, I was super anxious to try it out and burned it when it around 24%, didn't want to wait until the next burning season. Now when I get some I wait but I understand wanting to try it out.

I cut very big 7 rounds and split them. And about 10-12 medium to small size rounds.

I will take a shot at it.

Do you think I would be able to burn the ones above % 20 MC this year around February/March? Yes

Air flow / Split it smaller / bring it inside a while before burning

I completely agree with this. If you leave it near to the fire for a few days (obviously not too close) it will burn very well.

Reactions: chemie and Lakeside
I cut very big 7 rounds and split them. And about 10-12 medium to small size rounds.
If its that small an amount just wait til next year, I thought you had a large amount and a storage problem, Id save that for a couple overnight loads on a frigid night.

Save it for the cold and let it season, the drier it is the more you will like it. It's a great firewood so wait for some real cold.

I'm confused (something my wife says happens a lot!): I've always been told that black locust is great for fence posts, bad for heating, because the wood has an oily sap (I don't know if I'm saying that right) and the sap will create a lot of creosote when burned. Even if it's seasoned, the sap will create problems in the chimney.

So you guys burn it without any problems? Do you clean your chimneys more often? Does it put out a lot of heat? I usually burn maple, oak, or walnut; could never figure out what to do with all the locust that I cut down. I appreciate any guidance. Thanks! Curt

I'm confused (something my wife says happens a lot!): I've always been told that black locust is great for fence posts, bad for heating, because the wood has an oily sap (I don't know if I'm saying that right) and the sap will create a lot of creosote when burned. Even if it's seasoned, the sap will create problems in the chimney.

So you guys burn it without any problems? Do you clean your chimneys more often? Does it put out a lot of heat? I usually burn maple, oak, or walnut; could never figure out what to do with all the locust that I cut down. I appreciate any guidance. Thanks! Curt
You have received some bad information! Black locust is a excellent firewood! Extended burn times and cranks out the heat! It burns hot and clean! Aside from Hedge..it is my top choice!
I wish I had unlimited access to it as it would be all that I would burn! I burned 2 cord of it last winter and cried when the last piece went into stove....lol...spring clean out netted 2 cups of ash...

Last edited:
Reactions: chemie and Lakeside
I burn up to 25% moisture content in my cat stove, high valley 1500, BUT there is a method to the madness,i make sure i let the cat get up to minimum 850 degrees before hitting the bypass which means the air is open fully to aid in the warming up, when i reload i do the same or just don't let her get below 800 cat temp before i reload. I don't burn nothing above 25% though

Let them sit, split and stacked, until next year. My experience with locust is that anything above 18%, it will just sit like a rock and not burn. Once you get it to 15%ish, you will start to see it’s heating value.

We had a couple cold days here so I switched to some four year old locust rounds the high was 22 I reloaded after 14 plus hours and my house was still very warm. What Im getting at is let it sit till it's cold and seasoned. That's what that wood is for.