Fan control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bucketboy

Hearth Supporter
Aug 7, 2009
central ontario
We use a 20 in box fan to circulate the air behind the stove and move the warm air throughout the house, sometimes if the eyes are heavy and a feeding is missed i come down and the fan is blowing cold air around. i solved that. i bought a snap themostat on ebay (turns fan on @100 and off when comes back to 100) wired it in a surface mounted receptacle box and mounted the receptacle near the ceiling 4 feet away from the stove now when the room is quiet i know i have to go and feed the stove and the little residule heat isn t lost to the fan.

I don't use a box fan but rather a 650 CFM variable speed blower. In my former home, the stove had a snap disc mounted to the bottom that turned the fan on and off but I didn't like that it took too long to sense the heat and turn on. It would take a good half hour of a roaring fire before the fan would come on. Then, once the steel got hot it would keep running for over an hour after the fire burned down and blow cold air.

I opted not to use it this time so it just keeps running but it doesn't bother me. At night I dial back the combustion air anyway and run the fan on low speed. I guess where you mount the disc will make a difference.

Nice save a little eletric too.

Status
Not open for further replies.