Fan motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have a Pacific Energy Design D fireplace insert. Elsewhere on this web site I got information on a non manufacturer replacement blower for my insert. I purchased one and just got it installed. It is a very easy replacement. The replacement part is a Fasco part number
B47120. It retails for about $130 whereas the blower from Pacific Energy costs about $500 and is out of stock in a lot of places. Physically the blower is a direct replacement. Electrically you will have to remove your variable speed control and install a 3 position (high, medium, low) switch as the new fan motor comes with 3-speed windings and a warning that it is not suitable for use with variable speed controls.

As always if you change from the manufacturers supplied part you have to assume the risk that the part will not function well but I decided to take that risk. I was able to take the old blower out and clean it up including lubricating the bearings with high grade lubricant. The bearings are not sealed. It looks like the old blower will work just fine as a spare for the new one I just installed.

I have a Pacific Energy Design D fireplace insert. Elsewhere on this web site I got information on a non manufacturer replacement blower for my insert. I purchased one and just got it installed. It is a very easy replacement. The replacement part is a Fasco part number
B47120. It retails for about $130 whereas the blower from Pacific Energy costs about $500 and is out of stock in a lot of places. Physically the blower is a direct replacement. Electrically you will have to remove your variable speed control and install a 3 position (high, medium, low) switch as the new fan motor comes with 3-speed windings and a warning that it is not suitable for use with variable speed controls.

As always if you change from the manufacturers supplied part you have to assume the risk that the part will not function well but I decided to take that risk. I was able to take the old blower out and clean it up including lubricating the bearings with high grade lubricant. The bearings are not sealed. It looks like the old blower will work just fine as a spare for the new one I just installed.
I bought the same motor. Wired it the same as the original motor using just the low speed wire. Have great speed control and can go down to a very quiet slow speed. Has been several years and motor seems fine.

Reactions: kcmclellan