Fan not turning on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jafo

Dec 24, 2009
Northern NY
This morning I noticed my Astoria Bay insert was not on and the lights were flashing on the side. There were no pellets in the burn post. I turned it off, then back on. It started like normal, it started the pellets and came up to temperature but the second fan is never turning on. What should I do first?

Hmm, now it is working.. Any idea what this would indicate? I am going to call the dealer for a thorough cleaning. I normally vacuum out the visible part of the stove, remove the baffles, the cover plate, everything I can find. Getting to the fans and exhaust though are not easy as it is inserted into a tight fireplace.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The motors on the newer stoves have a thermal over load fuse. Once the motor gets hot it shuts off and will restart when cool enough. Looks like you need to pull the motor and lube it with 20w electric motor oil(3 in 1 blue can). It should go good after that.

If it happens again, You will need to change out the blower assemble. You did clean and lube the blower this season right? Unfortunately this needs to be done about every ton or so. Just like the vent cleaning. Tougher on the inserts to do but probably more important as there so compact the blowers get hotter than a FS stove! Got to be done even if its a pain!

I have not done anything like that. I have scheduled an appointment for the dealer to come in and completely clean it.. I am basically going to watch him do it and then I will be better prepared to do it myself. I am just not comfortable taking the insides apart like that especially since all of them seem to require a gasket which I have no replacements for.

Thats fine. Watch the tech like a hawk and see how he does things. But as a note. The convection(room air) blower doesn't require a gasket AFAIK. It usually has a rubber gasket that is reuseable! FYI only.

Make sure he lubes the motor and knows there was an issue of it stahling. If he doesn't lube it you should!

j-takeman said:
Thats fine. Watch the tech like a hawk and see how he does things. But as a note. The convection(room air) blower doesn't require a gasket AFAIK. It usually has a rubber gasket that is reuseable! FYI only.

Make sure he lubes the motor and knows there was an issue of it stahling. If he doesn't lube it you should!

Here is a pic of the insert before it was put in from this thread:

index.php

I am assuming the convection fan is the one on the bottom? It really looks like a bit of work to pull that off.. I think I am just going to leave the stove off until they get here (2 weeks sigh)..

Ok, to follow up..

The combustion fan was on the left of the unit, convection on the right.

Len from Countryside Stoves (Marcy NY) showed up a little late, but the weather here today was crazy. I was glad he showed at all lol..

He tested the convection fan and it ran fine on its own. So then he tested the sensor and that seemed fine.

He cleaned the unit, and explained everything he was doing. He really went in depth and beyond what I expected. Once he put everything back together the convection fan fired up as it was supposed to. He seemed to think the cleaning was all it needed but told me how to test this/that if it happens in the future. I really feel 100 times more knowledgeable about this stove than I did this morning.

All good! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.