fans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bucketboy

Aug 7, 2009
central ontario
Do any of you use a fan to move the warm air behind or above the stove around or do most of you just use the radiant heat off the stove?

I have the fan that came with the summit and like it a lot for moving air, the temp in the house jumps up a couple of degrees when I turn it on.

I have a fan behind my stove blowing down the hall to the bedrooms works great for our house. We tried blowing cool air to the stove off and on for 2 years, after reading here, after trying we moved the fan back to where we have had a fan for 30 yrs.

We keep the bedrooms from getting too hot by closing doors.

We have a ceiling fan. I use it to blow down, because it blows the heat off the ceiling through the doorway -- you can really feel it standing on the other side of the door.

Also have a fan similar to this, but more commercial looking. I have been using it on the floor in the hall to blow cool air towards the stove, but it's not working so well there. I'm going to move it around some and see where it does the most good.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_333644-9489...ioners+Fans_4294859079__s?Ntt=fan&facetInfo;=

I have a regular ol' desk top fan that I have in the room next to my "stove room" . . . blowing towards the stove . . . this is enough to move the heat through most of the entire house without the need for a blower on the stove itself.

I use the stove fan or a ceiling fan pushing air down and it moves the heat towards there back of the house nicely.

We tried for years blowing warm air down our hallway. Then someone on this forum suggested doing the reverse. I scoffed....but had to try it. Wow! It was amazing how well the other end of the house warmed up and did so rather rapidly!!!

The key here is to use a small desktop fan and run it on low speed. Too much speed and you'll not like the draft anyway. We set the fan on the floor right at the entrance to the hallway. It works.

Ceiling fans: Another education I got. I too thought that heat rises so let's blow it down. Wrong!!! If you suck the air up you will end up pushing the warm air down and work with the natural convection. The coldest part of the house is along the walls which means the cool air goes down along the walls. That air has to be replaced somehow and from somewhere. In this case, that cool air will rise in the center of the room and then again fall along the cooler wall. So sucking the air up works with the natural flow of the air. Sounds wrong, but it works.

We use the same method as Backwoods Savage with ceiling fans (set them to suck air up to the ceiling) and it just about cooks us out of the house at times. We also use a upright stick style floor fan behind the stove and that really moves the heat as well.

Good Luck
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.