Farmer score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommytman

Apr 13, 2014
CT
I got a nice little score from a farmer down the road yesterday. I only wish I had a bigger truck or a good utility trailer to haul more. He had quite a few cords in various lengths and said I could come back anytime. All the wood was supposedly cut down all within the past year and it looked pretty good to me. Some pieces were grayed and cracking at the ends but there didn't seem to be any rot. Anyways I picked up some species that are new to me. The front pile in the pic is yesterday's haul.

Attachments

• IMG_0053.JPG
    IMG_0053.JPG
    438.8 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0055.JPG
    IMG_0055.JPG
    448.3 KB · Views: 223
Reactions: jaychino415
Looks great! It's good to know a few farmers.

As a side note I was honestly considering getting a log load delivered, but I'm pretty new to burning and scrounging has been fun. I'm sure you guys that have been doing it for a while will probably laugh at that comment and think "give it a couple years"...I figure I'm up to about 4 cord of scrounged wood so far this year

Looks pretty mapley from here. Get in good with him. Farmers frequently have fence rows that need clearing and it can make for some pretty easy "drive up to" wood if you can work within their schedule (like after harvest).

Reactions: Missouri Frontier
Looks pretty mapley from here. Get in good with him. Farmers frequently have fence rows that need clearing and it can make for some pretty easy "drive up to" wood if you can work within their schedule (like after harvest).

I'm pretty bad at identifying species but I thought some of it was maple. That would be great if I could get something long term going. I wouldn't mind trading a little labor for some good wood.

As a side note I was honestly considering getting a log load delivered, but I'm pretty new to burning and scrounging has been fun. I'm sure you guys that have been doing it for a while will probably laugh at that comment and think "give it a couple years"...I figure I'm up to about 4 cord of scrounged wood so far this year

I've been scrounging for 14 years now. The reason it doesn't get old is because it's free!

Status
Not open for further replies.