Farmers Almanac predicts colder than usual winter for most of US

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't beleive any of that stuff. We hear it every year. Its going to be hot this year, Its going to be frigide this year.
They never know its just a guess. Just like their prediction of how many huricanes there will be. A few years ago
I had someone tell me we were going to have a bad winter because his acorn tree was full of acorns. Turned out
it was a very mild winter.

It should be a nice balmy winter, remember global warming. I am gonna sell my plow, snow blower, and give my snow shovel away. Maybe I wont need my wood-stove and can stop splitting wood. On the other hand maybe there wrong.

Mast trees tend to have good years and bad years depending on how much rain they got, and when the most recent good crop was. Same for fruit trees- so that arborists cull out a lot of fruit to keep production at a reasonable level lest they get few fruit the next year (big crop, then a recovery year or 2).

This may have an evolutionary advantage as trees of a particular type bear larger crops all at once in an area- animals feeding on those seeds are much less likely to eat them all. If they just had moderate production every year, then critters may get the best of them. You see this with certain sea critters etc all hatching or breeding at once (including sea turtles)- it may spark a feeding frenzy but since it all happens at once some survive.

I dont know but its been a bang up season for out boats catching Illex Squid and Bunker . We hope the mackeral show up lke other years when Illex is good last year Macks were thin

Status
Not open for further replies.