Fastening pipe insulation, tape or zip ties?

welderboyjk Posted By welderboyjk, Dec 29, 2012 at 8:28 PM

1. welderboyjk

welderboyjk
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 29, 2009
    Loc:
    South West, Michigan
    Now I know either would work but duct tape seems to "dry out" after a few years and the glue turn to dust. Zip ties would hold it in place just fine but since I had to split the insulation it would require a bunch of the to hold it closed well.
    So what do/did you use? Wondering what options there are out there that I've not seen.
    Thanks.

2. Bob Rohr

Bob Rohr
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 9, 2008
    Loc:
    SW Missouri
    Did you get a nice clean cut when you split the insulation? If so get some spray contact glue. Spray both edges, wait a few minutes and squeeze it together. You can also get a liquid contact glue and brush it on, but the spray is less mess. Check that the glue is compatible with the insulation, I haven't tried the spray glue on the foam type, just the rubber based Armaflex.

3. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    When I need something, I use Tuck Tape (Tyvek tape).

Haven't had any in service for an extended period of time yet, so not sure how it'll last - but it should be a lot longer than duct tape.

4. peakbagger

peakbagger
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern NH
    I have used "barge cement" to glue between pipe sections and on mitered cuts. It seems to hold up well. I just spread it on and then temporarilly use a piece of tape to hold it while its sets.It does put out some strong fumes so be careful. 3m super weatherstrip adhesive also works, use it like rubber cement, apply a thin coat to both surfaces and let it get tacky, then push them together.