1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Fastening pipe insulation, tape or zip ties?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by welderboyjk, Dec 29, 2012.

1. welderboyjk

welderboyjk Member

Loc:
    South West, Michigan
    Now I know either would work but duct tape seems to "dry out" after a few years and the glue turn to dust. Zip ties would hold it in place just fine but since I had to split the insulation it would require a bunch of the to hold it closed well.
    So what do/did you use? Wondering what options there are out there that I've not seen.
    Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bob Rohr

Bob Rohr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Missouri
    Did you get a nice clean cut when you split the insulation? If so get some spray contact glue. Spray both edges, wait a few minutes and squeeze it together. You can also get a liquid contact glue and brush it on, but the spray is less mess. Check that the glue is compatible with the insulation, I haven't tried the spray glue on the foam type, just the rubber based Armaflex.
  3. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    When I need something, I use Tuck Tape (Tyvek tape).

Haven't had any in service for an extended period of time yet, so not sure how it'll last - but it should be a lot longer than duct tape.
  4. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    I have used "barge cement" to glue between pipe sections and on mitered cuts. It seems to hold up well. I just spread it on and then temporarilly use a piece of tape to hold it while its sets.It does put out some strong fumes so be careful. 3m super weatherstrip adhesive also works, use it like rubber cement, apply a thin coat to both surfaces and let it get tacky, then push them together.