Favorite landscaping trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really Helpful Lee. Thanks.

I'm happy to plant things that the bees won't use for forage, but it helps prioritize my list.

We have several native persimmon trees. There seem to be male and female. The fruit is messy. Really sticky. The trees don't look very nice.

If you have a space for it the Japanese Maple is beautiful. They are short ornamental. Would look nice near a path.

I'm finally putting together this order. Cross referencing with the bee list I'm choosing black locust, persimmon, redbud, sycamore, crabapple. bayberry, Japanese maple and dogwood, witch hazel. Will try not to take them out with the weedwacker. I tent to cowboy around the yard with that thing and lives get lost. It's no wonder I haven't tried a chainsaw yet. Plus the boy is head mower, and he's not discriminating. Unless I plant next to the hives. He'll leave those alone.

Tulip poplar is native here and responsible for our major spring honey flow. They grown in my yard like crazy and I am forever pulling them out. There are *plenty* of huge trees in my heavily treed neighborhood.

Thanks for playing along!

Sounds great!

When it comes time to plant, try not to use a bar to plant them. Dig a small hole. It will compress the ground less, which will give your trees an easier time throwing out roots.

Matt

Just wanted to make a comment . perhaps you aught to visit a local nursery ( not big box) and grab a couple 5-10 gallon trees of your likeing to get you through the few years its gonna take these saplings to " bear fruit " just an idea from a generation Y kid ya know we need our instant gratification

Matt I had to google planting bar. I never even heard of it.

Yes, I definitely want to get some more fruit trees. I harvested a ton of peaches from my one puny tree. I also want to plant some magnolia.

Don't forget the Paw Paw. I'm a gonna get me a paw paw.

Black walnuts are beautiful trees, but keep in mind that they exude a chemical called juglan that will kill many plants nearby. Particularly those in the nightshade family- potatoes and tomatoes. Wouldn't want to grow these two within 100 ft. of the dripline. Some plants, like hostas do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.