favorite stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PipNH

Oct 31, 2016
Campton, New Hampshire
I'm curious what everyone's favorite stove is. I see a lot of Jotul and Hearthstone owners on here, any others?

What do you like about them? What do you wish you could change? Why did you choose that one over another?

I'm running a Lopi Patriot right now and I don't love it. It's a little small and with an E-W front load only I'll loose some arm hair during reloads.

I've also got an old Forester and an Atlantic Duchess wood cook stove at my hunting camp. That duchess is an awesome unit and the Forester will heat you out in a hurry.

I'm a biased fan of the Pacific Energy stoves :) . I bought an PE FP30 ZC fireplace (basically a PE Summit in a metal enclosure) last year for the following reasons...
  1. They are made in Canada so pricing is good (no US/Foreign exchange) and parts are easy for me to procure.
  2. Dealer near me has a great reputation and is very close for parts and service
  3. The FP30 provided me with a remote duct vent so I could heat the basement as well with it.
  4. Very easy to operate and maintain and a simple design.
  5. I like the PE baffle design better than the tube design.
  6. Most PE stoves can burn E/W or N/S (dependant on wood length with some models)
  7. Floating firebox design means parts are easily replaceable once they are burned out.

I think if I couldn't get a PE for some reason, I would've highly considered a Jotul if I was looking for a wood stove and not a ZC fireplace.

PE summit here.

Simplicity, durability, quality, and heating ability.

Reactions: Prof
Jotul . . . it's been near bullet proof with no issues. I replaced some of the gaskets after 8 years of use . . . and that's been the only thing I've had to do. I liked the look and liked the idea of buying "local" . . . but mostly I wanted something that would be very reliable for many years all while keeping me and my wife and clouder of cats warm.

Pretty much the only thing I would have changed was to splurge and get the blue black enamel vs. the black matte paint. There is one other thing I keep thinking I should change, but I haven't done so yet . . . adding a damper in the double wall pipe for those handful of times in the winter when I want to slow things up.

2 ed the Jotul Oslo. A cast iron stove that been in use since the winter of 2000. A few gaskets and nothing else. Mine is the forest green enamel.

For 99% if folks here, it’s the stove they own. After all, they did their research, checked out the competition, and then bought what they did.

The best stove? Not sure which model suits you, but it’s made by Blaze King, of course.

Ruh-roh. Here they come!;lol

Reactions: Woody5506
Jotul 3CB. I have been burning 3 cord a winter for about 20 years. Gaskets are all it needs. Burns good and clean. Heats our family room, living room, kitchen and dinning area. About 900 sf. It has been a beautiful stove and is perfect for our situation. The cost back then was a third of what they sell for now.

As was mentioned, most all will vote for what they have. For most, it’s the only stove they’ve ever had, or at least the only epa stove they’ve had.
I’ve had several jotuls, a Hearthstone, a few Lopis, a few Blaze Kings, and several others.

To date, I’m yet to find a stove that will out perform a Blaze king, not even close. They do everything they say they’ll do. Hands down the best stove I’ve had to date. Not only the best performing but actually performs as advertised.

Reactions: lsucet and Ashful
To date, I’m yet to find a stove that will out perform a Blaze king, not even close. They do everything they say they’ll do. Hands down the best stove I’ve had to date. Not only the best performing but actually performs as advertised.

Can you explain the how the blaze king thermostat works? I've seen that it'll adjust if the stove gets too hot/cold but I can't find anything on how it does that. If it's electric it seems like a silly component to have on a wood stove...

Also, what kind of burn times are you getting? How's it effected the amount of wood you use?

Can you explain the how the blaze king thermostat works? I've seen that it'll adjust if the stove gets too hot/cold but I can't find anything on how it does that. If it's electric it seems like a silly component to have on a wood stove...

Also, what kind of burn times are you getting? How's it effected the amount of wood you use?
The air control makes use of a bi-metallic coil, no electricity at all.

The amount of wood used is relative. After using a BK in a few different homes, I’d expect to use 1/3 to 1/2 less wood than a traditional non-cat EPA stove. Some would report less savings, some perhaps more. I would be in the 1/3 less range I’d say.

Blaze king here too.
Long burn times (and I mean LONG), ash removal done monthly, and 1/3rd less wood. And, the wife likes it!

I've had a Quadrafire 5100i, a Lopi Liberty and now a Pacific Energy Summit. Other than minor issues I really have nothing bad to say about any of them.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I've had three Jotul Firelight 12s, and two Blaze King Ashford 30s. The BK's keep the house far warmer, and I'm using half the wood I used to put thru the Jotuls. I also use less oil running the BK's, than I ever did with the Jotuls, but it may be unfair comparing BK's latest to a stove Jotul made several years ago.

What is fair to point out the maintenance required on any old cemented cast iron stove. Never again! My stoves, whatever brand they be, will be cast-clad welded steel boxes, from here on out.

The bimetallic spring that webby mentions is a clock spring, like this:

favorite stove?

The shaft on your air control is connected to the end at the middle of the coil, and the actual air shutter it drives is connected to the outer end. When it gets hot, it relaxes and closes the air a bit. When it gets cool, it contracts and opens the air a bit. It works wonderfully well, and allows us an almost perfectly even heat over the full duration of the load.

BK Ashford here... tis a good stove, and heats my ~1200 sq ft place by itself easily now that the house is insulated. I wish the ash drawer was designed better, and the stove box a little deeper like the Princess is. Just like anything in life, no stove is perfect.

I like the Woodstock stoves a lot- Progress Hybrid & Ideal Steel, but have yet to see one in person.

Ashful is right about liking the ones we have. I like the two that I have. Flame Energy insert and VC Resolute 3. I greatly prefer the VC Resolute, but alas it's sitting in the barn unused until I've someplace to install it.

PE summit here.

Have to agree......PE's are good stoves for the above reasons

In our locale CAT stoves have such a horrible reputation that you'd be considered crazy to even consider one. It will take years, if ever, for their extremely tarnished image to ever recover. We are very happy with our T5 -- it is much more efficient than our old Fisher -- running with a very clean chimney in comparison, as well!

Have to agree......PE's are good stoves for the above reasons

In our locale CAT stoves have such a horrible reputation that you'd be considered crazy to even consider one. It will take years, if ever, for their extremely tarnished image to ever recover. We are very happy with our T5 -- it is much more efficient than our old Fisher -- running with a very clean chimney in comparison, as well!
Guess you owned a Vermont Castings previously then?

I've had three Jotul Firelight 12s, and two Blaze King Ashford 30s. The BK's keep the house far warmer, and I'm using half the wood I used to put thru the Jotuls. I also use less oil running the BK's, than I ever did with the Jotuls, but it may be unfair comparing BK's latest to a stove Jotul made several years ago.
It’s not unfair to compare the 2. The jotuls were older, but not too different from a current firelight. Similar performance should be expected with the current models. At least from my experience.

Guess you owned a Vermont Castings previously then?

No, over 30 yrs. with a Fisher, & close to 10 with the T5.
I have never owned an auto-diesel either, but I am very aware how certain manufacturers ruined their image, so as, hardly no one would consider one now, no matter how "good" they are supposedly!

Reactions: Beldin
PE summit here.

Super clean burning as well, here's what was in my 35' chimney after a long season of burning last season, probably about 5 cords. That's a paper grocery bag, with I'd say 1/2-3/4 full size coffee can of fluff.
favorite stove?

Reactions: Squisher
No, over 30 yrs. with a Fisher, & close to 10 with the T5.
I have never owned an auto-diesel either, but I am very aware how certain manufacturers ruined their image, so as, hardly no one would consider one now, no matter how "good" they are supposedly!
Well rest assured, BK does not have the issues with failures like cat stoves from the past.