Favorite tools?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 19, 2022
Pea Ridge, Arkansas
My favorite tools are:

1) Heat resistant welding gloves
2) Rake (hard to find) and poker
3) Kindling Cracker Firewood Kindling Splitter
4) Eco-fan
5) Metal plate to extend insert

What are your fav/mods?
stove_1.jpg

Kuma Stove with Addition.jpg

crack.jpg

Definitely the welders gloves; mine are going on 15 years now. I also have a rake (more like a hoe) that I picked up many years ago at Montpelier Stove and Flag Works. Lastly would be the laser thermometer for checking temps at different places on the stove.

I use a kitty litter scoop instead of a rake, barbecue gloves (although after just one year they're looking a little worse for wear, sounds like I should get some welding gloves to replace them), and a regular scoop for ash removal. For getting the wood to the stove, a canvas tote and one of those cheap-but-sturdy wire shelving things (about $50, 400 lb capacity that I don't come close to) on the porch by the front door - it holds 4-5 days of wood sorted into 4 different sizes on the shelves. I couldn't find anything designed for wood storage that had enough weight capacity plus multiple shelves, but this works well, and I like being able to easily grab the right mix of logs for a quick morning fire or a long overnight burn.

Also I moved my dust buster to live near the stove, and now the stove area is probably the cleanest place in the house, since it gets swept and vacuumed 3x a day =)

I've been fine so far with the stove top and flue probe thermometers, but I'm curious about the laser ones - what's the advantage of those?

Reactions: JamesGuido
never thought of them as tools but i guess they are...
made a hoe i use to gather ashes...

woodstovehoe.jpg

broom and dustpan to keep the floor clean after loading
this area is walked thru all day...

woodstovebroomdustpan.jpg

Jøtul4.jpg

...then my blocks to assist me when loading/cleaning...
A wood block to set on the hot stove to push myself back up off the floor ;)
and a foam yoga block on the floor to take my knee.

woodstoveblocks.jpg

I use a kitty litter scoop instead of a rake, barbecue gloves (although after just one year they're looking a little worse for wear, sounds like I should get some welding gloves to replace them), and a regular scoop for ash removal. For getting the wood to the stove, a canvas tote and one of those cheap-but-sturdy wire shelving things (about $50, 400 lb capacity that I don't come close to) on the porch by the front door - it holds 4-5 days of wood sorted into 4 different sizes on the shelves. I couldn't find anything designed for wood storage that had enough weight capacity plus multiple shelves, but this works well, and I like being able to easily grab the right mix of logs for a quick morning fire or a long overnight burn.

Also I moved my dust buster to live near the stove, and now the stove area is probably the cleanest place in the house, since it gets swept and vacuumed 3x a day =)

I've been fine so far with the stove top and flue probe thermometers, but I'm curious about the laser ones - what's the advantage of those?
I like the idea of the shelves and the sorted wood.

Reactions: stoveliker
I modified a small rake into two tools. One for sweeping coals left and right; the other for bringing coals to the front of the stove. The hoe is useful for moving ashes into piles for pick up. I have a mini scooper but recently built a prototype Super Scooper. This works great for getting large amounts of ash out of the stove. I build a pile with the hoe, then use the super scooper to pick up the pile. As I pull the scooper from the stove, I place the cap over the end. This prevents ash dust from going anywhere. I then take out side and dump. Usually two trips and the stove is clean. It is MUCH better than using the mini scooper and dumping the ash into a bucket at the stove.

Stove tools.jpg Super Scooper.jpg

Reactions: JamesGuido
never thought of them as tools but i guess they are...
made a hoe i use to gather ashes...

View attachment 291626

broom and dustpan to keep the floor clean after loading
this area is walked thru all day...

View attachment 291627
View attachment 291628

...then my blocks to assist me when loading/cleaning...
A wood block to set on the hot stove to push myself back up off the floor ;)
and a foam yoga block on the floor to take my knee.

View attachment 291629
I like your unique stove setting and wood buffet.

I see we are cheesehead neighbors....sort of....Racine Co. at least.....LOL

We have a assortment of stove tools but our go to one is a simple bent poker.

We use it rake the coals forward, occasional burning log adjustments. It's lite and nimble too. I suppose a coal shovel and gloves rounds out our essential must have list for wood stove burning.

Was looking for a woodstove coals rake, ended up here.
Ordered a Bayou Classic rake, a eco fan and 6 big rodent bait stations because the house is warm now and the little critters are looking for a warm place to stay.
Got the gloves, a little shovel and bucket (a friend said need a metal bucket with a lid but I have a plastic trash barrel), a log hoop might be nice, looking for one, Thanks.

Reactions: fvhowler and Jags
One of my favorites of all my tools, not just wood burning / working tools is my pulp hook. Moving or stacking splits is about all it’s used for these days but it’s just a stab and a swing and your piece is where you want it.
1F3A4263-BF38-4D8B-8EEB-90F47FA8D54C.jpeg
The design is much better than some I’ve had, making it a pleasure to use. My fondness is likley to be also connected to places been and work done with it.

Last edited:
Been using the Peavey to get big logs off the ground for dirt free cutting.
Of course I misplaced the T insert.

How's this for a scattered and random list?

1. Any strong clamp I can operate with one hand, mostly made by Irwin.
2. Hyde 5-in-1 tools, this stupid piece $10 of metal on the end of a handle must have three billion uses
3. Any 4wd tractor with a front-end loader

Funny how a $10 piece of sheet metal on a handle can be almost as near and dear to one's heart as a $40,000 tractor. ;lol

Favorite tool?
Bottle opener.

Looking for a firewood loop holder.
Not the light many pieces, assembly required thing, something substantial but unobtrusive.
Not sure if this is too small for what you're thinking, but I have an old copper boiler sitting next to each of my stoves. They're big enough to hold a full load, plus a bit extra. I used to load them up if I was heading out somewhere, and wanted my wife to load the stove(s) while I was gone.

Here's the first two photos I found that show the boilers, just please excuse the mess of cords under the desk, this was taken while I was just setting up the home office.

fl1 great 2.jpg office stove.jpg

A thermocouple and readout. I've stuck the thing on every place on the stove and measured how the temps change in the burning cycle.

A cat poo scooper, to move.coals to one side so I can scoop ashes.

My log stand to buck on the driveway.

My Leatherman multi tool. Simply because I can finagle anything anywhere if I have this thing (and a decent piece of cord).